Subject: Re: [office] good bye

Duane Nickull wrote:
> On the other hand, OASIS is an organization that has to pay bills and
> operate with an impartial and balanced set of rules.  They cannot pay their
> bills with contributions and good will alone.  They do need $$.

Absolutely. In addition, OASIS must also have rules to ensure fairness,
for example, by not letting one organization dominate any given TC. I
should note, however, that a non-profit organization like the
OpenDocument Foundation does pay a membership fee. A non-profit does not
get a free ride at OASIS.

I don't know how much the ODF Foundation pays for membership. Judging
from this page:

http://www.oasis-open.org/join/categories.php

My guess would be that it's either $1,100 or $3,200. That's enough to
cover either 4 or 8 individual memberships respectively. I believe that
it would be fair enough for the non-profit to be allowed as many
representatives as their fee would cover if that money were reused for
individual memberships. I believe that this is a more reasonable balance
between the two extremes of either allowing a non-profit to have an
arbitrary number of representatives or only allowing two
representatives. I doubt that anyone would argue that this is unfair to
OASIS.

I hope that OASIS representatives will consider this alternative.

Thank you for listening.

Best wishes,
Daniel Carrera.