Subject: Re: [office] xml:lang settings. Confused.

Hi Dave,

On Wednesday, 2007-06-20 13:27:17 +0100, Dave Pawson wrote:

> >No, I was referring to the change process itself; IF we introduced
> >xml:lang we'd have to provide a migration path from fo:* attributes to
> >xml:lang and vice versa.
>
> I thought forward compatibility was the issue? rev 1.0 should be readable
> by 2.0, not the other way round?

Sure. Nevertheless it's nice if we provide a way where 1.2 aware
applications can write a format that still can be read by 1.1-only
applications, if possible.

> For forward, it shouldn't be much of a transform above the identity
> transform?
>
> Additionally all applications would have to
> >adapt their load/store procedures quite significantly.
>
> Why?

Huh? If they didn't they'd write 1.1 fo:* format, not xml:lang, and
would not be able to read xml:lang sequences.

> Note I have no knowledge of the application level.
> To me the value of odf is the xml on disk. The apps are temporal.

Please note that this TC works on something called

"OASIS Open Document Format for Office Applications (OpenDocument)"

I guess the wording "for Office Applications" was intentional. We're not
constructing some theoretical storage format. We try to adapt to the
needs of applications. You do want to process the ODF on disk, not just
lock it away.

  Eike