Subject: Re: [office] Default values

Hi Thomas,

I agree with your final assertion that an application should not need to
write out default values.

Saying that the attribute value is implied is however a bit misleading,
as the semantic of an implied attribute is defined by the XML spec. As
such, any time you omit the element, the parser would be required to
imply the presence of the attribute with the default value. This works
against the inheritance semantics which are defined for styles in ODF.

But I guess this is just terminology. I think we agree, that the
application should list defaults for style properties. Then, when a
certain property is resolved along the ancestors of some applied style
and isn't found, the default is assumed. It's just that this can't be
expressed directly with XML/RelaxNG constructs and needs to be defined
by us.

Cheers,
Lars

--
Sun Microsystems                Lars Oppermann <lars.oppermann@sun.com>
Nagelsweg 55                    Software Engineer