Subject: Re: [office] Clarification for frame formatting propertystyle:flow-with-text

Hi Andreas,

please see also my answer to Michael question about my interpretation of
"to clip".

see my comments inline.

Andreas J Guelzow wrote:
> Hi,
>
> please see my inline comments.
>
> On Wed, 2007-17-10 at 10:09 +0200, Oliver-Rainer Wittmann - Software
> Engineer - Sun Microsystems wrote:
>> Andreas J Guelzow wrote:
>
>>> Imagine I have an object attached to the 23 word of text inside a table
>>> cell.
>> Thus, in OOo I would anchor the object at the first character of the
>> word with anchor type at-character.
>
> so the exact location of the anchor would be script dependent. IN a
> right to left script does that put the anchor on the right side of the
> first character?

Yes, that's correct.

>>> I may prefer any one of the following:
>>>
>>> 1) the object should appear at a certain location relative to the anchor
>>> point inside the cell and clipped to the cell.
>> In OOo:
>> - choose a horizontal and a vertical position relative to the anchor
>> character.
>> - set style:flow-with-text = "true" -> assures that the object stays
>> inside the table cell
>> - assure that the table cell has a fixed height by setting the height of
>> the row to a fixed value -> assures that the table cell *doesn't*
>> increase its height in order to achieve that the object fits into the
>> table cell.
>
> That could be a problem: perhaps the table cell needs the ability to
> adjust its height for some other object also attached to that cell.

It can be and it depends on the actual positions and sizes of the two
objects - see below for my further comments below.

>>> 2) the object should appear at a certain location relative to the anchor
>>> point inside the cell and possibly overlapping information outside the
>>> cell.
>> In OOo:
>> - choose a horizontal and a vertical position relative to the anchor
>> character.
>> - set style:flow-with-text = "false" -> assures that the object can
>> leave the table cell.
>
> so "flow-with-text" has really nothing to do with movement together with
> the text. This seems like a strange naming.
>>> 3) the object should appear at a certain location relative to the anchor
>>> point inside the cell with the cell enlarged to encompass the object.
>> In OOo:
>> - choose a horizontal and a vertical position relative to the anchor
>> character.
>> - set style:flow-with-text = "true"
>> - assure that the table cell fits its size to its content by checking
>> the corresponding option the row -> assures that the table cell tries
>> increase its height in order to achieve that object fits into the table cell
>>
>>> 4) the object should appear at a certain absolute location on the same
>>> page as the anchor point. Of course no clipping to the table cell should
>>> happen.
>> In OOo:
>> - choose a horizontal and a vertical position relative to one of the
>> page areas.
>> - set style:flow-with-text = "false"
>>
>>> 5) the object should appear at a certain location relative to the anchor
>>> point somewhere on the same page as the anchor point.  (This may in fact
>>> effectively be the same as #2.)
>> Yes, same as #2 in OOo.
>
> If I may summarize:  style:flow-with-text appears to have nothing to do
> with flowing with the text.
That's not true. It only looks like this in the situations you have
constructed. But, also in these situations an object can flow with the
text. Namely in the situation, when the table cell is broken into
several parts. In this case an object with style:flow-with-text="true"
will flow into the next part of the table cell, if it doesn't fit into
the one of its anchor.

The name of this attribute had been chosen from the typical situation.
This is an object anchored at a paragraph respectively at a character of
a paragraph, which is inside the normal body text. Here
style:flow-with-text="true" means "follow the text flow of the body text
and do not leave its area" and style:flow-with-text="false" means
"object hasn't to follow the text flow and thus, can be positioned
somewhere in the page area.

> I am still not clear how to do the following:
> A table cell with two objects anchored at 2 characters. Both should
> appear at certain locations relative to the anchor point. The first
> object inside the cell with the cell enlarged to encompass the object
> and the other inside the cell and clipped to the cell size.
It's a combination of #1 and #3 without setting a fixed height for the
corresponding row, because you want to enlarge the table cell for object
of #3. If in this situation object of #1 causes an enlargement of the
table cell due to its position and size, I think its up to the user to
adjust its position to solve the situation accordingly. For OOo this
situation doesn't seem to be problematic, because I didn't get any
negative feedback from the OOo users so far - and this feature is
useable since OOo 2.0.

> I think that the file format should allow for this.
It is allowed, but I think our file format can not resolve/define every
constructed layout situation.

Regards, Oliver.