Subject: Re: [office] Groups - Comparison of default styles(default-styles.ods) uploaded

Ming Fei Jia wrote:
> It seems most of values use "in" instead of "cm" as unit for length.

You are right. But at least in OpenOffice.org, the measurement unit that
is used in ODF depends on the measurement unit that is selected for the
UI. If measures are displayed in inch, then the unit that is used in ODF
is "in". If measures are displayed in "cm", then "cm" are used in ODF.
That means that it depends on the unit setting in the UI that was
active when saving the defaults whether they are stored in inch or cm.
We could also use only inch, or only cm, if we want.

So, the question is actually what the preferred measurement unit for an
international standard would be, or if there is such a preference at all.

Related to this is the question whether and how we define defaults for
those properties that may have locale dependent values. I have suggested
already that we don't specify defaults for the page size, because there
are at least Legal and A4 paper dimensions. Assuming A4 as default won't
work very well for countries that usually use only Legal paper, and vice
versa. However, there seem to be several properties that depend on the
paper dimensions. Like the margins, where I assume that other margins
are reasonable for a Legal page than for an A4 page. The same applies to
the dimensions of headers and footers. And even for the default tab stop
distance I believe that another values is reasonable for countries that
use the metric system than for those that use English units.

StarOffice/OpenOffice.org
http://blogs.sun.com/GullFOSS

	   D-85551 Kirchheim-Heimstetten