Subject: Re: [office] auto-play presentation file format like PPS - MIME typeparameter

Hi Warren,

What my initial idea to raise this proposal include 2 aspects: one is the user scenario, that users can launch the Presentation application directly from OS shell just like launch PPS file, this may be why I prefer to call it "shortcut"; the other is the open mode, that is auto-play or not. During this period of discussion, especially some good suggestions from Rob,Bob,David,Eike,Warren and anyone else(sorry if I missed), we all preferred to extend the view mode to apply to general applications, not limited to Presentation, as well as define the view mode in the manifest file with MIME type. Actually, I don't much care about what the option name is, more over, "preferred view" makes sense for me either. So welcome your good suggestion, thanks.

BTW, in detail, I always feel my previous proposal lacks something, and not so comfortable. I think maybe it is better to separate "auto-play" from the "view" mode because "auto-play" is a special animation effect, instead of general read-only contents. For example, we can define an attribute "preferred-view", and this attribute can have 3 values to choose: "edit","play" and "view". The "view" now is just a to-be-done value that can be extended if some concrete view mode is preferred in the future. Does everyone have comments for this? Thanks.

Best Regards,

Mingfei Jia(¼ÖÃ÷·É)
IBM Lotus Symphony Development
IBM China Software Development LAB, Beijing
Tel: 86-10-82782244-2493 Fax: 86-10-62982924
NOTES:Ming Fei Jia/China/IBM E-mail: jiamingf@cn.ibm.com
Address: 4/F, DeShi Building No.9, East Road, ShangDi, Haidian District, Beijing 100085, PRC

Inactive hide details for "Warren Turkal" ---04/09/2008 03:15:35 AM---2008/4/7 Ming Fei Jia <jiamingf@cn.ibm.com>:"Warren Turkal" ---04/09/2008 03:15:35 AM---2008/4/7 Ming Fei Jia <jiamingf@cn.ibm.com>:

"Warren Turkal" <turkal@google.com>

Ming Fei Jia/China/IBM@IBMCN

office@lists.oasis-open.org

04/09/2008 03:15 AM

Re: [office] auto-play presentation file format like PPS - MIME type parameter

2008/4/7 Ming Fei Jia <jiamingf@cn.ibm.com>:
>  See my another mail in this loop. I prefer to call option name
> "shortcut-open-mode" since this attribute should be restricted in the
> scenario that user double-click or select/enter the document directly from
> OS shell, otherwise, it seems no real meaning. Thanks.

Shortcut-open-mode makes no sense to me. What we are really asking for
is a preferred view of the data. That's why I suggested that name.
Shortcut open mode seems to evoke terminology from Windows for a
concept that is similar to a symlink on Unix. Preferred view is very
generic and really describe the concept much better.

wt