Subject: Re: [office] Groups - ODF_Element_Naming_01 (ODF_Element_Naming_01.pdf)uploaded

Michael,

Michael Brauer - Sun Germany - ham02 - Hamburg wrote:
<snip>
> So, <text:p>, <text:h>, <text:a> have been taken from HTML (as well as
> href and nohref). All the anim attribues have their direct
> counterparts in SMIL, that is a W3C specification but uses other rules
> for element and attribute names then XSL-FO, from which we took many
> formatting properties. <draw:rect> is our counterpart to SVG's
> <draw:rect>. The term "indent" is used in the XSL-FO specification,
> and the term "auto", too.
>
> So, there are probably some situations where we have chosen
> inconsistent names or unclear abbreviations when we have added new
> elements and attributes. But many of the names you are listing have
> been taken from the standards we are based on, because we are not only
> reusing the semantics, but also the element and attribute names, and
> their terminology.

Well, I think I avoided all cases where we "borrowed" names that retain
their original namespaces, such as anything in fo: or smil: for example

Granted that when we use anything from a foreign namespace that we are
bound to follow its original naming convention.

I am not sure the same thinking applies when we simply re-use a name for
our own purposes.

And I fully agree that we should follow the semantics of borrowed
elements as well. That is a very good point.

Hope you are at the start of a great week!

patrick@durusau.net
Chair, V1 - US TAG to JTC 1/SC 34
Convener, JTC 1/SC 34/WG 3 (Topic Maps)