Subject: Re: [office] YEARFRAC information

Hi David,

Thanks for tracking these down.  I know this has been a lingering task for OpenFormula for some time now.  Although were were hoping that the OOXML text would provide clarification in this area, not additional ambiguity, it looks like your brute force approach has revealed how Excel actually defines these functions.

My understanding is that JTC1/SC34 does not have a mechanism in place yet for accepting defect reports on OOXML.  But they are working on such a mechanism, and when it is place we can ask Patrick to submit a defect report on behalf of the ODF TC on this point.

I agree with you that these inconsistencies will likely be resolved by changing OOXML to match Excel's behavior.  Since we require resolution now, and can not wait for OOXML maintenance activities, we are probably best off matching what Excel does based on the formulas you derived.

But I'm wondering if we can take this even one level further?  If you compare your formulas with the documented financial authorities' definitions of day count conventions, such as those listed on Wikipedia:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Day_count_convention, do any of them match exactly?

In other words, if we can say that Basis 0 matched NASD rule 27 as stated in this or that official document, and this matches what Excel does perfectly, then this might be more helpful than merely giving an arbitrary formula seemingly pulled out of the thin air.

-Rob

Rob Weir
Software Architect
IBM Software Group