Subject: Re: [office] Defining Alternative Glyphs

Rob,

Ah, so the question is one of how a format indicates some OpenType
feature that should be invoked, assuming the application supports
OpenType? In other words, how the application interacts with OpenType
isn't our concern but simply indicating that it should and what
information it should convey are.

Hope you are having a great day!

Patrick

robert_weir@us.ibm.com wrote:

> Patrick Durusau <patrick@durusau.net> wrote on 07/07/2008 05:56:35 PM:
>
> > Rob,
> >
> > robert_weir@us.ibm.com wrote:
> > >
> > > This is a specific feature in OpenType called "Alternative Glyphs"
> > > where a single font can contain alternative glyphs for the same
> > > unicode character.
> > >
> > Yes, but that is the same point that I made from a different
> perspective.
> >

> Then I think we are in agreement.
>
> > With OpenType you have a font and hence a "default" glyph, so
> specifying
> > an "alternative" glyph makes sense. But that presumes the use of an
> > OpenType font which has that capability.
> >
> > My point was that in the abstract there is no default glyph, only the
> > Unicode character point. For more you either have to rely on font
> > technology (thanks for the OpenType reminder) or the markup layer. The
> > point being that the support does not reside in the Unicode encoding.
> >
> > Hope you are having a great day!
> >
> > Patrick
>

> Right.  This is purely an OpenType font feature.
>
> -Rob

patrick@durusau.net
Chair, V1 - US TAG to JTC 1/SC 34
Convener, JTC 1/SC 34/WG 3 (Topic Maps)