Subject: Re: [office] Defining Alternative Glyphs

Title: Re: [office] Defining Alternative Glyphs
I’d like to suggest if this is done, some form of anti-phishing operation is established to prevent people from spoofing URL’s using glyphs.  IRI’s can be used to trick people.

Duane

On 07/07/08 2:56 PM, "Patrick Durusau" <patrick@durusau.net> wrote:

Rob,

robert_weir@us.ibm.com wrote:

> This is a specific feature in OpenType called "Alternative Glyphs"
> where a single font can contain alternative glyphs for the same
> unicode character.

Yes, but that is the same point that I made from a different perspective.

With OpenType you have a font and hence a "default" glyph, so specifying
an "alternative" glyph makes sense. But that presumes the use of an
OpenType font which has that capability.

My point was that in the abstract there is no default glyph, only the
Unicode character point. For more you either have to rely on font
technology (thanks for the OpenType reminder) or the markup layer. The
point being that the support does not reside in the Unicode encoding.

Hope you are having a great day!

Patrick