Subject: RE: [office] Proper identifier for Excel-style digest algorithm

Hi Bob,

Yes, the legacy algorithm was not named, and naming it would have required some of the other changes we had put together in the US/CA/SA agreement you mentioned, which didn’t get addressed in the BRM.  There are two sets of attributes in the IS29500 element for hashing algorithm, and the name attribute was added in the new set of attributes, which explicitly didn’t support the legacy algorithm.  So the old algorithm could only be named in an attribute whose presence precluded the use of it. J

In any event, I entirely agree with your comment that “applications, such as openoffice, should be free to implement the algorithm for reading and writing .xls or .doc files, but I would strongly discourage its use in odf files.”  It’s an issue for interoperability with existing documents that have used it in the past, but it’s not an algorithm that should be used going forward, for all the reasons we discussed during DIS29500.

Regarding how to name the algorithm, since it’s not named in IS29500 we can do whatever makes sense to everyone here.  Perhaps Rob’s suggestion (ISO/IEC 29500 Legacy Hash), or do what Adobe does if Duane finds they’ve named it something already.

- Doug

From: Bob Jolliffe [mailto:bobj@dst.gov.za]
Sent: Monday, July 07, 2008 3:43 PM
To: office
Cc: Kohei Yoshida

Hi

It is unfortunate that this problem of not naming the legacy algorithm relates to one of the resolutions which never got tabled at the Geneva BRM back in February due to lack of time.  The USA, Canada and South Africa arrived at an agreement over a set of editing instructions which included amongst others:

"
Name the legacy algorithm for use in Transitional Migration, Features (normative) in A.1.6"

As I recall the situation, the legacy algorithm is assumed if the algorithm is not named.  The resolution including the above wasn't tabled, so as far as I can tell, it is still not named.  I still have a copy of our resolution which I guess we will put through to SC34 when the mechanism for receiving comments is up and running.

So for the moment we can name it ourselves as Rob suggested, but it would be nice for everyone to call it the same thing.

One of the other issues which was raised back then relates to writing out hashes of passwords made using the legacy algorithm.  There was a strong sense that the legacy hash algorithm be used to verify existing passwords, but that "strict" conforming applications should not generate hashes of new passwords using this algorithm.  Unfortunately all this remains unresolved and there are no editing instructions approved by the BRM regarding the issues.

But it does give rise to the question: are we going to support saving passwords hashed using iso-29500-legacy-hash in odf v1.2?  Currently I guess we do as we leave the choice of algorithm completely open.  Its a tricky one.  I would suggest that applications, such as openoffice, should be free to implement the algorithm for reading and writing .xls or .doc files, but I would strongly discourage its use in odf files.

Regards
Bob