Subject: Re: [office] the simple proposal: forwards compatibility

> 2008/7/14  <robert_weir@us.ibm.com>:
> >
> > "Dave Pawson" <dave.pawson@gmail.com> wrote on 07/14/2008 07:31:22 AM:
>

> >> What should a 1.2 application do with content from 2.0?
> >>

> > Perhaps we can add some language to ODF 1.2 for how an ODF 1.2 processor
> > should process unknown elements from ODF 1.3.+.  However, we can't, in any
> > formal way, tell an ODF 1.0 processor what to do with ODF 1.2 documents,
> > since we cannot change the ODF 1.0 specification.
>
> Lots of things the TC could do.
>
> If 1.2 defines a clear action on 'forwards compatibility'
> that might act as  guidance for retroactive action on forwards compatability?

We have no shortage of ways of giving guidance.  But will they listen?  In particular, if an ODF 1.0 producer is not updating to ODF 1.2 in general, then  I'd have little expectation that they are monitoring our activities, or that they plan on changing their code based on our "guidance".

> I'll post a comment to the comments list if that might help getting it
> on the TC's agenda.
>
> I see it as a shortcoming of the current spec.

Since you are a TC member, you could just ask for it to be added to the agenda.  That is the simplest way.