Subject: Re: [office] Table Refresh Delay

Duane Nickull <dnickull@adobe.com> wrote on 07/18/2008 04:57:00 PM:

> I think the key question was around refresh rate values and what
> they meant.  This has digressed slightly.  I had suggested
> milliseconds is a good measurement of time for the value.  Whether
> or not it can cause epileptic fits is none of my concern.  Looking
> at ugly ODF docs or other content has an equal wieght in this regard
> and the onus is on the author – we are not telling people what content to use.
>
> I would like to ask for a decision – milliseconds as a measurement
> for refresh rates or ????
>
> What is the alternative people are thinking of if not milliseconds?

I agree with you 100% that this was the initial question.  And I think that the answer is that the value is unambiguously a ISO 8601 duration string, which has granularity of milliseconds.  That is how the underlying XML Schema datatype defines it, which ODF references.

However, Rich asked this question in the context of an Accessibility SC general review of this type of refresh issue in ODF, so the follow-up question to knowing that the attribute allows very small refresh intervals, is whether this should be accompanied by an additional statement on any health and safety impact.  They can probably carry on with that discussion on the SC's mailing list and bring it up again to the full TC when they have a proposal.