Subject: Re: [office] Default Values Proposal

Hi Dave,

that is interesting. But having a quick rough at ISO/IEC 19757-8, then
DSRL is about mapping XML instances from on schema to another, and the
dsrl:default-value element is about adding default values as part of
this mapping.

So, I may be wrong, but is seems to me that this definition of default
values has a different purpose, and cannot be used within the definition
of an RNG schema, or used to extend an RNG schema. Well, one maybe could
define an identity mapping which just adds default values, but this
would mean that all ODF applications would require DSDL support. I'm not
sure if this is reasonable. ISO/IEC 19757-8 is furthermore not yet
approved, but the ballot is still ongoing. So right now, we could not
normatively reference it.

Anyway, thanks a lot for the interesting information.

Michael

Dave Pawson wrote:
> 2008/7/23 Michael Brauer - Sun Germany - ham02 - Hamburg
> <Michael.Brauer@sun.com>:
>> Hi Rob, all,
>>
>> I would like to discuss this proposal in the next call. We had already
>> agreed that we want to move default value definitions from the schema into
>> the specification, so what's needed is only a short review of the language
>> that I have chosen
>
> Too late if you've already decided to do it Michael,
> but ISO/IEC 19757-8:2008(E)
>
> 6.3    Default attribute values
> A dsrl:default-value element can be used to define a default value for
> an attribute at the end of an attribute
> map. The model for this element is:
>       default-value = element dsrl:default-value {text}
> The default value to be assigned is recorded as the contents of the
> dsrl:default-value element. Any value
> assigned to the named attribute within the document instance will be
> used during validation of the document, but if
> the attribute is not present the default value will be applied.
> If an attribute has been declared to be an additional attribute by the
> addition of an additional="true" attribute
> to a dsrl:name element the attribute map shall contain a
> dsrl:default-value element.
> NOTE:       A typical example of a DSRL default attribute value
> definition, as introduced as the last element in an
>             dsrl:attribute-map element, is:
>   <dsrl:name additional="true">code-source</dsrl:name>
>    <dsrl:default-value>iso3166</dsrl:default-value>
>

> HTH

StarOffice/OpenOffice.org
http://blogs.sun.com/GullFOSS

	   D-85551 Kirchheim-Heimstetten