Subject: Re: [office] Digital Signature proposal

Hi Ming

Thanks for raising these issues.  Taking you comments in reverse order:

2.  I agree we need to understand the W3C/ETSI relationship better.  The XAdES proposal was made as a result of requirements for use in Brazil.  I think we need to ask Jomar to tell us what the current status of XAdES implementation is there.

1.  Agreed.  But there is a considerable scope for signing and validation tools outside of traditional "office products".  For example, the current specification allows for the signing of document fragments using XMLDsig.  There are no current office applications which do this, but it is still useful.  We are working on one such implementation for validating signatures in our workflows in the document management system.  Of course it would be great for office applications to support signing of a text section, but if they don't yet do this its not a disaster.  As long as those existing applications don't trash the signatures they don't understand or care about.

Regards
Bob