Subject: Re: [office] Are all charts always backed by a table?

Hi Patrick, Eike,

To clarify - the issue is that the state of the art in providing blind access to things like charts and graphs is to provide access to the underlying data that is driving the charts/graphs (rather than trying to provide access to the visual representation).  If a particular chart/graph is driven from multiple ranges of cells in multiple table, so be it.  So long as we have a reasonable means of enabling users (and their assistive technology user agents) to directly get to the underlying data of the chart and review that, we will I think be providing as good of access as anyone knows how to provide.

So if I understand this exchange correctly, all the info is required as per the ODF spec., and so this then shifts to being the job of the ODF applications - ensuring that they provide an efficient user interface to getting at the underlying table(s) data(s) for any given chart being displayed, and to navigating that data(s).

Regards,

Peter Korn
Accessibility Architect & Principal Engineer,
Sun Microsystems, Inc.

20080812142447.GP8805@sr1-eham02-01.Germany.Sun.COM" type="cite">
Hi Patrick,