Subject: Re: [office] Coordination Call Attendance

Hi Dennis,

On 09/30/08 18:07, Dennis E. Hamilton wrote:
> Hello Michael,
>
> I apologize, I did not make myself understood.  I understand how the
> membership is determined at the beginning of each meeting, and how I could
> check it myself.
>
> However, the minutes are a public, archival records, and the membership
> changes over time.  So there is no way to easily know what the voting
> membership and voting attendance was at the time of any previous meeting,
> especially since voting membership changes from time to time.  (I assume
> that Florian Reuter is not currently a voting member because of consecutive
> absences, for example.)

I agree that it is not easily possible to determine what the voting
membership of a meeting was by just looking at the minutes or a single
web page, but it can be calculated by checking the last few minutes.

But I would like to understand why this is important to you? I have
never required that information, even not in my role as TC
co-chair. What I need is the information who right now is a member and
has voting rights. But this information is available at the TC
membership page.

We furthermore track already the number of voting members the TC has in
total and the number of those that are attending. Why is it important to
you to also have the names of voting members that are not attending to a
call in the minutes?

> I looked at the Calendar tool, but it doesn't provide any more information
> than the minutes with regard to this question.  I don't think it is part of
> the OASIS public record, either.

I may be wrong, but my understanding is that it is part of the public
record. At least, the data in the tool is used to conduct electronic
ballots.

> Also, the complete membership roster is difficult to use (being organized by
> organization rather than individual).  For those reasons, I am requesting

That's true for the public roster. The roster at the TC member page

http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/office/members/roster.php

can be sorted by the last name or status by clicking the corresponding
heading. Maybe that's what you are looking for.

> that the minutes should reflect the voting membership status.  It is only a
> request.

Maybe Rob has a different opinion here. I personally think this causes
some overhead. And to be honest, unless I have overseen something, its
nothing that really helps us to conduct or organize our TC work. For
that reason, I simply would like to understand what the benefit would be
before  I agree to actually track this information.

Anyway, that's my personal opinion. If other TC members believe we
should track more information regarding the status of TC members in the
minutes, then we may of cause do so. Is this a topic you wish to discuss
in one of the next calls?

> Although it is apparently of little interest to know the voting membership
> composition on the occasion of individual past meetings, I would have
> thought it an important element of accountability.  OASIS is apparently more
> informal than I had expected.
>
>  - Dennis
>
> PS: I do not understand why some organizations and some individuals have *
> next to their names.  For example, Novell* and Patrick Durusau*.  I have
> looked everywhere for an explanatory note and have failed so far.

I believe this is left over from the last change of IPR rules at OASIS,
where all organizations and individual members that signed the new
membership agreement were marked by the "*". We may ask Mary McRae
whether this true.

StarOffice/OpenOffice.org
http://blogs.sun.com/GullFOSS

	   D-85551 Kirchheim-Heimstetten