Subject: RE: FW: [office] Homonymy Impact - Version Identification at the Feature Level

Michael,

I love the built-in cross-referencing that appears in the new drafts for ODF
1.2.  That is a tremendous feature.

It brings up a new problem, because not all uses of the same attribute name
are the same and there is only one entry in section 18 for all of the
homonyms.

This suggests to me that we need some structure below the attribute name
entry in order to sort out the homonymic cases.

I also assume that the cross-reference mechanism will not be able to handle
that, because there is no way to indicate to it which homonym is intended
where.

The situation I am referring to is what Patrick discusses in his annotation
of the section on the table:name attribute.  This applies in many other
places (text:name and style:name probably) and for other attributes.

See the draft7-10 text for section 18.1029 table:name for an illustration of
the need to provide specification by homonymic case, and how Patrick has
been handling it.  It seems to me that this treatment of version-specific
introduction and change might have to be at the level which is now reflected
by bullet-list items.

 - Dennis