Subject: Re: [office] ODF 1.2 draft 7 - table chapter

It certainly looks impressive, but it this collection of references really
valid in an IS?

For example, many of the references are not to specific publications. What
how do we use "The Complete Restatement of Oral Law (Mishneh Torah)"?
Which edition?  Whose translation?  I thought normative references had to
be in an official ISO language (English, French or Russian).  This is
really a reference to a potentially large class of variant editions which
may follow different traditions, correct for different sets of scribal
errors (the original text goes back to the 12th Century), etc.

Also, this is a reference to a 28 volume set of Jewish law.  To give no
more specific reference than the title is ridiculous.

So, IMHO, the references in OOXML are fun to read and amusing bits of
cultural trivia, they are of zero help to implementors.  That should be
the key clue that they are not good normative references, that they are in
practice merely eye candy and not useable by implementors.

-Rob