Subject: Re: [office] ODF 1.2 specification draft 7 - further review resultsof Michael Stahl

Oliver,

Finally! ;-)

Michael: Can you add the issue of deprecation/removal of the attribute
text:continue-numbering for text:numbered-paragraph to the TC agenda?
(see below for details) The other matters were purely editorial changes.
Thanks.

Oliver-Rainer Wittmann - Software Engineer - Sun Microsystems wrote:
> Dear TC members,
>
> below you will find some more comments from a further review of my Sun
> colleague Michael Stahl:
>
> 18.855 style:type
>
> formatting of the list is wrong.
>
> the following description is missing:
>
> <quote>
> If the value of this attribute is left, the style:position attribute must
> also be used. Otherwise, this attribute must be omitted.
> </quote>

Actually that was listed under

|<text:index-entry-tab-stop>|

Now set as a paragraph.

> 18.858 style:use-window-font-color
>
> <quote>
> should be as used as the foreground color
> </quote>
>           ^^ spurious

Yes.
> 18.859 style:vertical-align
>
> <quote>
> * baseline
> </quote>
>   ^^^^^^^^ not formatted as value
>
> <quote>
> * <style:section-properties>
> </quote>
>          ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ this should be: column-sep
>   ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ not formatted as element
>
> <quote>
> * <style:table-cell-properties>
> </quote>
>   ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ not formatted as element

Reformatted.
> 18.859.1 style:vertical-pos
>
> this should be labeled 18.860.

Yes.
> 18.860 style:vertical-rel
>
> maybe there should be a reference to style:vertical-pos, which explains
> the possible values. right now, the two are on the same page.

Yes, I have inserted a reference.

> 18.862 style:width
>
> the elements are not formatted as elements.

Reformatted.

> 18.863 style:wrap
>
> imho the "run-through" value's description should have a reference to the
> style:run-through attribute.

I can see why it is related but can you say what having the reference
adds to the description here?

> 18.867 style:writing-mode
>
> the whole list is formatted all wrong
>
> the following definition of the "page" value is missing:
>
> <quote>
> This value specifies that the writing mode is inherited from the page
> that
> contains the paragraph.
> </quote>

Restored.

> 18.1011 table:is-sub-table
>
> </quote>
> A nested table that is not a specified to be a subtable
> </quote>
>                           ^^^ spurious

Done.

> 18.1109 text:animation-direction
>
> nothing is said about possible values.

True, was in the schema fragment of the original text, restored.

> 18.1111 text:animation-start-inside
>
> <quote>
> specifies if a text animation starts inside or outside a shape.
> </quote>
>
> <quote>
> the shapes bounding rectangle.
> </quote>
>          ^ missing apostrophe

Done.

> 18.1113 text:animation-stop-inside
>
> why is this different from what is written in 18.1111:
>
> <quote>
> specifies if text animation stops inside a shape or inside the
> bounding rectangle of a shape.
> </quote>
>
> further:
>
> <quote>
> If it is false, the text stops its animation just outside the shapes
> bounding rectangle.
> </quote>
>
> <quote>
> the shapes bounding rectangle.
> </quote>
>          ^ missing apostrophe
No idea. I have conformed the two.

> 18.1114 table:automatic-find-labels
>
> this should be text:automatic-find-labels

No, actually right name, duplicate entry!

Deleted.

> 18.1119 text:c
>
> the following text is missing:
>
> <quote>
> A missing text:c attribute is interpreted as meaning a single SPACE
> character.
> </quote>

Added.

> 18.1126 text:class-names
>
> <quote>
> A text:class-names attribute specifies a whitespace separated list
> of paragraph style names.
> </quote>
>    ^^^^^^^^^ actually, this is only true if the attribute occurs on
> text:p or text:h; if it occurs on text:span, then the styles are text
> styles

Thanks! I didn't know that. Will split that one out.

BTW, since "paragraph" style name is a reference to the value of a
style:family attribute then it should be formatted as an attribute
value. Yes?

I don't think the current draft is consistent in that regard.
> <quote>
> If both, text:style-name and text:class-names are present,
> </quote>
>        ^ spurious comma

Done.

> 18.1127 text:column-name
>
> <quote>
> specifies the column name from which to display data.
> </quote>
>
> well, we don't display the data from the column name. maybe better:
>
> specifies the name of the column from which to display data.

Corrected to: "specifies the name of the column from which data is
displayed."

> 18.1132 text:cond-style-name
>
> broken reference:
>
> <quote>
> See /ref:<style:map>/
>
> </quote>

Oh, no, sorry, remnant of an early attempt at auto-generating
references. Correct insertion made.

> 18.1133 text:condition
>
> <quote>
> * <text:section>
> </quote>
>   ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ not formatted as element
>
> <quote>
> * <text:database-next>, ...
> </quote>
>   ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ all not formatted as element
>
> <quote>
> if the result interpreted as a Boolean value is true
> </quote>
>                          not formatted as value ^^^^
>
> <quote>
> * <style:text-properties>
> </quote>
>   ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ not formatted as element

Done.

> 18.1137 text:continue-numbering
>
> i have a more substantial problem with this attribute. using it on
> text:list is all well and good, but why is it applicable to
> text:numbered-paragraph?
>
> in ODF 1.2, text:numbered-paragraph has a mandatory attribute
> text:list-id. all numbered-paragraphs with the same list-id belong to
> the same list. it is necessary to use an attribute, because the
> numbered-paragraphs of a list may be interspersed with other elements.
> if a list represented as a text:list would be interspersed in this
> way, we would have several text:list elements with continue-list
> attributes and (maybe) continue-numbering.
> but numbered-paragraphs have list-id, and thus continue-numbering is
> completely redundant.
> (note that i implemented numbered-paragraph import for OOo 3.1, and it
> just ignores this attribute)
>
> can we deprecate, or better, remove the text:continue-numbering
> attribute on text:numbered-paragraph in ODF 1.2?

Well, that is a TC issue. We can certainly deprecate the use of this
attribute on text:numbered-paragraph in ODF 1.2. (I would need to break
it out so we can leave it for text:list.

I don't have an opinion on what impact it removal would have on
backwards compatibility.

> 18.1143 text:date-adjust
>
> <quote>
> The text:date-adjust attribute
> </quote>
>     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ is not formatted as an attribute

Done.

Thanks!

Hope you are looking forward to a great weekend!

patrick@durusau.net
Chair, V1 - US TAG to JTC 1/SC 34
Convener, JTC 1/SC 34/WG 3 (Topic Maps)