Subject: Re: [office] Data Grid Size element proposal

On Sat, 2008-11-29 at 01:41 -0800, Warren Turkal wrote:
> So...I asked a spreadsheet ninja coworker of mine if they had ever
> used the named range wrapping functionality you showed me for anything
> use. That person told me that they had never seen it used in the real
> world. Considering that it only works on named ranges and not ranges
> given in formulas, I am inclined to say that this feature (max row/col
> attributes) is still not worth adding unless someone can come up with
> a real world example of usage that would be enhanced with its
> addition. I don't like the idea of having some magic value that alters
> the way the spreadsheet calculates formulas, and I don't think that it
> would be a valuable use of the TC's time to define all the corner
> cases that result from that feature. I think it will make things
> radically more complex for an edge case that rarely (if ever) is
> encountered.

I don't really care whether you and your coworkers have previously seen
something. I have just used a default sized Gnumeric to create the
following spreadsheet:

A1 to E1 contain the integers 1 through 5
A2 contains "=IV1" and this is copied into B2 to E2.

As a consequence E2 shows the value 4.

Now this spreadsheet exists in the real world (and has nothing to do
with named ranges.)

How can I save this as an odf file so that a large-size gnumeric can at
least warn the user that previously wrapped vales may change results.
Without knowing the grid size of the creating application the opeining
application can not even find out whether there was wrapping.

ANdreas

--
"Liberty consists less in acting according to
one's own pleasure, than in not being subject

Prof. Dr. Andreas J. Guelzow
Dept. of Mathematical & Computing Sciences
Concordia University College of Alberta