Subject: Closing out ODF 1.2

Greetings!

I must agree that the list of proposals that could be included in ODF
1.2 is an impressive one. And that some restraint will have to be shown
by the members of the TC in terms of what is small enough to incorporate
without much difficulty or that is important enough to work extra hours
to see that it gets in.

I wanted to put in a plug for features that address compatibility
issues. Not for any of them in particular as I have been more concerned
with the current draft than with monitoring the details of new
proposals. However, I do think this is a good opportunity for the TC to
exhibit its bridge building skills with regard to other known, extant
features of other formats.

Lest there be some mistake, realize my goal for ODF is for it to be a
zero or near zero impedance format for a very wide community of users.
That includes having features that may not be of any burning importance
to me personally.

We will all want to draw the line on features and proposals somewhat
differently but I do think that with enough effort we can make
reasonable and fair judgments on what should be in ODF 1.2 or that needs
to wait for the next version. Actually I am hopeful that we can set a
date for the *completion* of ODF 1.3/2.0 soon after the final approval
of ODF 1.2 so we can plan our work backwards from that date.

Well, back to editing all the comments that have been submitted by the
Sun team. Expect a another drop by early next week. With any luck there
will be a second drop this month the week of Christmas. So those of you
who tire of the obligatory relatives will have something useful to do
while you hide in your home offices. ;-)

Hope everyone is having a great day!

patrick@durusau.net
Chair, V1 - US TAG to JTC 1/SC 34
Convener, JTC 1/SC 34/WG 3 (Topic Maps)