Subject: Re: [office] add list level attribute to style:style

Hi Oliver,

Oliver-Rainer.Wittmann@Sun.COM wrote on 11/26/2008 11:58:36 PM:
> Re: [office] add list level attribute to style:style

> Hi Ming Fei Jia,
>
> Ming Fei Jia wrote:
> > Dear TC members,
> >
> > I creates the proposal in the wiki
> > http://wiki.oasis-open.org/office/add_list_level_attribute_to_style%3Astyle
> > Thanks.
> >

> I do not know, if I understand your proposal correct.
> Thus, please allow me to ask some questions and make some comments:
>
> My understanding is that you want to introduce a "list level" property
> for style in style family paragraph. Correct?

Correct.

> If yes, I would call this new property a paragraph style property.
>
> My understanding is that you want to use this new paragraph style
> property to change/set the list level of the paragraphs via its
> paragraph style's "list level" property. Correct?

Correct. The style:family should be "paragraph".

> I hope my understanding is correct.
> If it is correct, I want to ask the following questions:
> Consider your described use case. The user has applied paragraph style
> "ListStyle-1" to paragraph "para-1".
> (1) What happens, if then the user changes the new paragraph style "list
> level" property value from 1 to 3? Does the paragraph also changes its
> list level?

Yes, the paragraph also changes its list level from 1 to 3.

> (2) What happens, if then the user changes the list level of the
> paragraph "para-1" from 1 to 3? I expect that the paragraph will be on
> list level 3, but its paragraph style's "list level" property has still
> value 1. How does then fit the description of the new paragraph style
> property "list level" to this scenario?

Good question. When this scenario occurs, the priority of user changing the list level of the paragraph directly is higher than the priority of list level property in the paragraph style applied to the paragraph. So, in this case, although the list level property of paragraph style is 1, the paragraph list level will be 3. But if another style that has different list level property e.g. 4 is applied to the same paragraph, the paragraph list level is overwritten, and becomes to 4. Maybe I need to state this applying sequence in the proposal.

> Let me point you to something similar that we have in ODF:
> We have the paragraph style property style:default-outline-level. This
> paragraph style property is used to initial set the paragraph property
> text:outline-level to "X", when a paragraph style with
> style:default-outline-level="X" is applied to this paragraph. In this
> case the paragraph becomes a heading on outline level "X" - it changes
> from a <text:p> element to a <text:h> element. Thus, the paragraph style
> property style:default-outline-level is only used to set the initial
> value of the paragraph property text:outline-level, when the paragraph
> style is applied.
> I can imagine something similar for your proposed paragraph style
> property "list level".

Thanks for reminder. We've investigated the style:default-outline-level before submitting the proposal. I totally agree that the style:default-outline-level is only used to set the initial value of the paragraph property text:outline-level for <text:h> element, and mainly for TOC features. But the proposed paragraph style property "list level" can be applied to any paragraph <text:p>. For example, with this list level property, we can define some numbering list styles, and then apply these numbering list styles to the specific paragraphs.