Subject: Re: [office] add list level attribute to style:style

Hi Ming Fei Jia,

Ming Fei Jia wrote:
> Hi Oliver,
>
> Oliver-Rainer.Wittmann@Sun.COM wrote on 11/26/2008 11:58:36 PM:
>> Re: [office] add list level attribute to style:style Hi Ming Fei
>> Jia,
>>
>> Ming Fei Jia wrote:
>>> Dear TC members,
>>>
>>> I creates the proposal in the wiki
>>> http://wiki.oasis-open.org/office/add_list_level_attribute_to_style%3Astyle
>>>
>>> Thanks.
>>>

>> I do not know, if I understand your proposal correct. Thus, please
>> allow me to ask some questions and make some comments:
>>
>> My understanding is that you want to introduce a "list level"
>> property for style in style family paragraph. Correct?
> Correct.
>
>> If yes, I would call this new property a paragraph style property.
>>
>> My understanding is that you want to use this new paragraph style
>> property to change/set the list level of the paragraphs via its
>> paragraph style's "list level" property. Correct?
> Correct. The style:family should be "paragraph".
>

>> I hope my understanding is correct. If it is correct, I want to ask
>> the following questions: Consider your described use case. The user
>> has applied paragraph style "ListStyle-1" to paragraph "para-1".
>> (1) What happens, if then the user changes the new paragraph style
>> "list level" property value from 1 to 3? Does the paragraph also
>> changes its list level?
> Yes, the paragraph also changes its list level from 1 to 3.
>
>> (2) What happens, if then the user changes the list level of the
>> paragraph "para-1" from 1 to 3? I expect that the paragraph will be
>> on list level 3, but its paragraph style's "list level" property
>> has still value 1. How does then fit the description of the new
>> paragraph style property "list level" to this scenario?
> Good question. When this scenario occurs, the priority of user
> changing the list level of the paragraph directly is higher than the
> priority of list level property in the paragraph style applied to the
> paragraph. So, in this case, although the list level property of
> paragraph style is 1, the paragraph list level will be 3. But if
> another style that has different list level property e.g. 4 is
> applied to the same paragraph, the paragraph list level is
> overwritten, and becomes to 4. Maybe I need to state this applying
> sequence in the proposal.

Thus, the paragraph's list level and the paragraph style's list level
can differ in a certain ODF instance.
My interpretation of your proposal is then, that the new paragraph style
property "list level" does not directly specify the list level of a
paragraph, which applies such a paragraph style. But your proposal
specifies that the paragraph's list level should change, when such a
paragraph style is applied or the paragraph style's property "list
level" is changed.
Is my understanding correct?
If yes, I would propose to name the new paragraph style property
style:default-list-level and explicit state in the ODF specification
that this value is only considered when a paragraph style is applied or
when this paragraph style property is changed.
The new paragraph style property is not used to directly specify the
list level of a certain paragraph in a certain ODF instance. The list
level of a paragraph in a certain ODF instance
(a) is determined by its nesting level of parent <text:list> elements OR
(b) equals the value of property <text:level> of its parent element
<text:numbered-paragraph>.
Does my understanding correspond to your intention?

>> Let me point you to something similar that we have in ODF: We have
>> the paragraph style property style:default-outline-level. This
>> paragraph style property is used to initial set the paragraph
>> property text:outline-level to "X", when a paragraph style with
>> style:default-outline-level="X" is applied to this paragraph. In
>> this case the paragraph becomes a heading on outline level "X" - it
>> changes from a <text:p> element to a <text:h> element. Thus, the
>> paragraph style property style:default-outline-level is only used
>> to set the initial value of the paragraph property
>> text:outline-level, when the paragraph style is applied. I can
>> imagine something similar for your proposed paragraph style
>> property "list level".
> Thanks for reminder. We've investigated the
> style:default-outline-level before submitting the proposal. I totally
> agree that the style:default-outline-level is only used to set the
> initial value of the paragraph property text:outline-level for
> <text:h> element, and mainly for TOC features. But the proposed
> paragraph style property "list level" can be applied to any paragraph
> <text:p>. For example, with this list level property, we can define
> some numbering list styles, and then apply these numbering list
> styles to the specific paragraphs.

Yes, style:default-outline-level is different to your proposed stuff.
My intention to point to style:default-outline-level was to indicate
that in my opinion style:default-outline-level and your new proposed
paragraph style property are similar in its effect to the paragraphs.

Regards, Oliver.

Sun Microsystems GmbH    Oliver-Rainer Wittmann
Nagelsweg 55             Software Engineer - OpenOffice.org/StarOffice
20097 Hamburg
Germany                  Fax:   (+49 40) 23 646 955
http://www.sun.de        mailto:oliver-rainer.wittmann@sun.com
Sitz der Gesellschaft:

Oliver-Rainer Wittmann (od) - OpenOffice.org Writer