Subject: Re: [office] DSIG proposal - URI vs.

Hi Dennis

You are much too prolific for me to keep up.  But I'm trying ...

2009/1/6 Dennis E. Hamilton <dennis.hamilton@acm.org>:
> On reflection, I realize that there are a couple of ways to anonymously
> refer to the package itself as an octet stream although it is definitely a
> special case:
>
> If "/" refers to the (hypothetical) directory in which the package content
> appears as a subdirectory, the canonicalization for message digest could be
> that the package itself is the octet-stream canonicalization.  This could be
> extended to any "subdirectory" within the package although proper definition
> is tricky.  (It has to be as if there was a Zip that contained only those
> items, I think, and there are some edge cases to nail down)  Whether we need
> to identify a canonicalization method for this is something that we can look
> at for later.  For now, I think the idea is to find an approach that does
> not preclude this future option.
>
> This does get into the problem of embedding a signature in compressed
> content, but there are already rules that should be adaptable provided that
> (1) any <signature> element that ends up effectively signing the element as
> part of its container is in an uncompressed item of the package and (2) the
> usual rules for handling the signing of an object that embeds the resulting
> signature are followed.   (This sort of thing is already done when signing
> executable code.)  There would probably need to be an explicit statement of
> the rules because of the need to have some dummy values in parts of the
> signature process and in the checking process.  Again, I don't think that
> has to be resolved now, so long as it is not precluded for the future.  An
> application note or something on how to do this could come along later.
> It's actually quite fun.

Am I reading you right that you are talking about embedding a
signature which effectively signs the entire zip container?  If so
then I think the zip specification
(http://www.pkware.com/documents/casestudies/APPNOTE.TXT) already
addresses how this should be done and I would see it as outside of our
immediate scope.

> I am satisfied that, if we can align on what the URIs "/" and "." refer to
> in the URL attribute of a <ds:Reference>, it will work, and having the Base
> URL be the notional directory of the hypothetically-extracted package should
> work once word-smithed properly.  We might want to tidy up the ODF 1.2
> equivalent of 17.5 at the same time.

In my understanding a digital signature in an odf document is supposed
to apply to contents of the package of that document.  In that sense,
there is not really a case where a <ds:Reference> should dereference
to anything outside of the package.  So it should always be a relative
path.  There is no need to have Reference to a path beginning with "/"
- I would prefer to see that as impermmissable.

Regards
Bob