Subject: Re: [office] DSIG proposal - external-sigining use case

Hi Dennis

It's an interesting use case.  There are perhaps even others.  One can
imagine a scenario where a signature policy exists and is accessible
via a http URI.  One might want include a reference to the external
policy in the signed information so that a validator could assure
itself that the policy being referenced is the same as that which was
in force when the document was signed.  Whether it is a good idea to
implement such schemes is another matter, but I agree we probably
shouldn't preclude the possibility.

Which of course currently we don't.  This will perhaps be one of the
challenges to be addressed in the next version.

I agree, and I've said on a few occasions before, that the OOXML part
2 is a well crafted document.  As for the signature, I don't really
like the approach of using an extra level of indirection to get to the
actual content to be signed, but it works.  To me it feels like too
much advantage is being taken of the generosity offered by the
ds:Object element in xml-dsig.  But its a justifiable design decision
and also probably a bit off topic to discuss here.

Regards
Bob