Subject: Conformance Clause proposal, Version 8

Dear TC members,

when I look over the discussions regarding the conformance clauses, it
seems to me that there is actually a very large area of consensus, and
that there are only a few, but essential items where the opinions
differ. These are:

- Should there be a loose conformance level for documents that allows
foreign elements everywhere?
- Can we remove that level, that we had in ODF 1.1, without prior notice?
- Should/Can we demand that a conforming producer must be able to create
(strictly) conforming documents?

In addition to this, there seems to be a strong demand for a conformance
level which does not allow foreign elements, and also for having a very
limited number of conformance level. My impression is that we agree all
agree on this.

The requirements are to some degree conflicting, but I anyway tried to
find a solution that may be acceptable to all of you. The key points of
it are:

- There will be two conformance levels for documents. One does not
support foreign elements and is called "OpenDocument document
conformance". The other one does support foreign elements without
restrictions and is called "OpenDocument Host Language Conformance".
- There will be two conformance modes for producers. A conforming
OpenDocument document producer must be able to produce conforming
OpenDocument documents. A conforming OpenDocument Host Language Producer
must be able to produce OpenDocument Host Language Documents, but there
is no requirement that it must be able to produce conforming
OpenDocument documents.

This proposals meets the requirement to have a strict OpenDocument
conformance, but it also provides a conformance mode for application
that wish to extend OpenDocument. This means that we have two
conformance levels rather than one, but the new name of what I called
"loose" conformance in prior proposals better reflects the
characteristics of this mode. And it lowers the risk of confusion. The
proposal also provides a conformance mode for ODF 1.1 documents that
contain foreign elements and shall be adapted to ODF 1.2.

The new name "OpenDocument host language conformance" is actually a name
I have adopted from the XHTML 1.1 specification, which provides a "XHTML
host language document" conformance level. It describes XHTML documents
that make use of extensions modules. In so far, we would be very close
to XHTML in this regard.

The update proposal can be found here:

http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/download.php/31052/conformance-definition-proposal-v8.odt

The version I'm referring to is the first one in the document.

I have made a few non substantial corrections and clarifications, most
of them have been suggested by Rob (Rob, thanks for having a close look
at the proposal). A list of these changes can be found in the proposal
itself.

I would be glad if this proposal is acceptable for all of you and would
like to discuss and maybe vote on it on Monday.

StarOffice/OpenOffice.org
http://blogs.sun.com/GullFOSS

	   D-85551 Kirchheim-Heimstetten