Subject: Re: [office] Conformance Clause proposal, Version 8

Hi Dennis

2009/2/5 Dennis E. Hamilton <dennis.hamilton@acm.org>:
> Interesting, Bob:
>
> In the 90 minutes or so since my note, I have become rather fond of having
> conformable documents (the ODF 1.1 conforming document) and (strictly)
> conforming documents, so that there is no sloppiness by which "conforming
> document" can any longer mean anything but a "strictly conforming document."
> I thought you would like that.

I guess for me "conforming" doesn't imply sloppiness.  I'm quite
comfortable with viewing "conformance" as meaning "strict
conformance".  So "strictly" is redundant.

> My biggest concern about moving conforming to strictly conforming as the
> designation is the prospect for confusion with the older nomenclature.
>
> Also, the emphatic nature of "strictly conforming" appeals to me, as I have
> said, and I for one would like the term to have normative force.  (I will
> probably use it anyhow, in my work.)
>
> How's this for a compromise:
>
> 1. Use "conformable document" as the level that corresponds to the ODF 1.1
> "conforming document" (assuming that OASIS allows us to name a conformance
> class/target without using conformance in its name).

Its an interesting direction to take which does maybe open a whole new
chapter in nomenclature.  I don't have a problem with the "geekiness"
of what Michael proposes.  On the whole, I tend to agree with Rob's
sentiment regarding a single conformance class for odf documents.
What Michael's proposal does is to create a differently named
conformance which seems like a reasonable compromise.  We have one
conformance class for odf documents.  And another for the
"OpenDocument Host Language".  That wortks for me.

Regards
Bob