Subject: Analysis: What Is the ODF Specification Conformance Proflie?

I have asked forms of this question before.  I don't recall receiving any
response so I will ask again.  Without understanding the answer to this
question, it is difficult to review the current specification drafts with an
eye to how conformance is handled.  I have assumed the question have already
been addressed and I simply don't know what the agreed approach is.

If there has been no discussion and agreement on the approach, perhaps now
is a good time to come up with a deliberate resolution (separate from the
conformance-section proposal before us, but influencing its further
refinement and alignment of the entire specification with that).

THE QUESTION:  What are the requirements for how conformance is treated in
the ODF 1.2 Specification?  I don't mean, what is ODF conformance?  I mean
what is the commitment to how conformance is dealt with in the specification
itself.  This is a specification quality question, not an ODF conformance
quality question (although the quality of one impacts the achievable quality
of the other).  This is a meta-question, because guidelines on conformance
clauses are a meta-topic related to the quality of an OASIS specification.

WHY ASK: I see that we are adding material to the former Document Processing
and Conformance section (1.5 in ODF 1.1).  This is apparently in response to
the OASIS Guidelines to Writing Conformance Clauses [1] put in place in
September 2007.  The creation of a distinct conformance section seems to be
just one small part of what those Guidelines are about.  The Guidelines
address how conformance is treated as a whole.  The Guidelines are intended
to support the achievement of a particular purpose regarding the quality of
the specification and its reliability in support of the successful creation
of conforming implementations.  My question is not about the technicality of
having a conformance section with a particular format, but with regard to
what it is we hope to achieve and how we will determine that we have
accomplished that.  What is our purpose and how does it align with the
apparent purpose of the OASIS Guidelines?

A PERSONAL CONCERN: Because we are starting from an existing series of
specifications, it also seems useful to understand how much we are taking a
step toward the aspirations that the Guidelines support and when we can say
that we've done enough for now in 1.2. That's a personal concern for me
because it determines how much work is appropriate in reviewing the current
drafts once they are stable enough for that kind of scrutiny.  If there's
some profile of the Guidelines beyond which we do not have to reach, that
helps in calibration of that effort.  It also establishes "good enough" for
this iteration of ODF specification development.

 - Dennis

PS: I notice in the OASIS Document Templates that the Conformance section is
supposed to be the last-numbered section of the specification.