Subject: Re: [office] fo::margin-left

Hi Patrick,

Patrick Durusau wrote:
> Greetings!
>
> In a recent post Oliver pointed out:
>
>> - fo:margin-left
>> Usage of fo:margin-left in element <style:list-level-label-alignment> is
>> a formatting property - namely a formatting property for list elements.
>> Thus, 18.244 should be integrated into 19.199.
>> Note for Patrick: Please keep in mind my proposed change for
>> fo:margin-left, which I have posted to the TC's mailing list -
>> http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/office/200812/msg00018.html
> In his earlier message, Oliver had proposed (in part):
>
> I have spent more than an hour trying to puzzle this one out and I may
> just be missing something simple.
>
> First, Oliver suggests moving the following paragraphs from
> fo:margin-left to <style:list-level-label-alignment>:
>>
>> This attribute is ignored if a paragraph inside a list item already
>> has this attribute.
>>
>> The |fo:text-indent| and |fo:margin-left| attributes specify the
>> indent and margin for the text lines of the list item, but also the
>> alignment position for the list label. The value |fo:margin-left| +
>> |fo:text-indent| specifies the indent of the first text line of the
>> list item. This position is also the alignment position for the list
>> label, because the value of |text:min-label-width| is treated as 0.
>>
> First problem: The 2nd paragraph, starting with: "This attribute is
> ignored...." makes no sense as written. A paragraph cannot ever have the
> attribute fo:margin-left. The fo:margin-left attribute appears only on

You are right.
That is one of the reason, why I adjusted the text during its "move"
from fo:margin-left to <style:list-level-label-alignment>.
The following text should be inserted into <style:list-label-alignment>:
<new text>
The attributes fo:text-indent and fo:margin-left specify the indent and
margin for the text lines of the paragraph inside a list item. The value
fo:margin-left + fo:text-indent specifies the indent of the first text
line of the list item. Because the value of list level property
text:min-label-width is treated as 0 - see [reference to
position for the list label.
The value of these two list level properties are only considered for
paragraphs inside list items those paragraph styles do not specify them
itself. If one of the two properties, or both, are specified by the
paragraph style, then the text indent and/or left margin is taken from
the paragraph style. In this case the paragraph style's properties are
used to determine the indent and margin for the text lines and the
alignment position.
</new text>

> It may mean when a paragraph inside a list item has a list style applied
> to it but it doesn't say that. Should it?
>
> Second, I am not sure why I would single out these attributes for
> discussion under <style:list-level-label-alignment>?

IMHO, there are some attributes that "play together" under a certain
element.
I personally find it quite hard to describe this directly at the
attributes instead of at the element under which they occur.
But, I would be fine, if we have these descriptions directly at the
attributes.

> For example, some of the new text suggested by Oliver:
>
>> If property text:list-level-position-and-space-mode equals
>> "label-width-and-position", property fo:text-align specifies the
>> horizontal alignment of the list label within the width specified by
>> the text:min-label-width attribute.
>>
>> If property text:list-level-position-and-space-mode equals
>> "label-alignment", value of property text:min-label-width is treated
>> as 0 and thus fo:text-align specifies the horizontal alignment of the
>> list label at the alignment position. The alignment position in with
>> case is given by properties fo:margin-left and fo:text-indent of sub
>> element <style:list-level-label-alignment> - see [reference to
>> according to the fo:text-align value are:
>> - center: The center of the list label is positioned at the alignment
>> position.
>> - left: The list label starts at the alignment position.
>> - right: The list label ends at the alignment position.
>>

> Already appears at: fo:text-align:
>
>> For paragraphs in a list, the values of the |fo:text-align| attribute
>> are interpreted as positioning their labels as follows:
>>
>>    *
>>
>>       |center||: |The center of the list label is positioned at the
>>       alignment position.
>>
>>    *
>>
>>       |left|: The list label starts at the alignment position.
>>
>>    *
>>
>>       |right|: The list label ends at the alignment position.
>>
>> Within the |<style:list-level-properties>| element, this attribute
>> specifies the horizontal alignment of a label (number) within the
>> width specified by the |text:min-label-width| attribute.

I also proposed in my above posting to remove this text from fo:text-align.

> and,
>
> at 19.419 text:list-level-position-and-space-mode:
>
>> The |text:list-level-position-and-space-mode| attribute specifies how
>> the position and spacing of the list labels (numbers or bullets) is
>> defined. The attribute may have the following values:
>>
>>    *
>>
>>       |label-alignment|: The |<style:list-level-label-alignment>|
>>       element and the |fo:text-align| attribute are used to define the
>>       position and spacing of the list label and the list item. The
>>       values of the attributes for |text:space-before|,
>>       |text:min-label-width| and |text:min-label-distance| are assumed
>>       to be |0|.
>>
>>    *
>>
>>       |label-width-and-position|: The |text:space-before|,
>>       |text:min-label-width|, |text:minimum-label-distance| and
>>       |fo:text-align| attributes are used to define the position and
>>       spacing of the list label and the list item.
>>
>> If |text:list-level-position-and-space-mode| attribute is missing,
>> which holds for documents conforming to previous OpenDocument
>> versions, its value is assumed to be |label-width-and-position|.
>>
> (If you check the latest draft against the text I quote above, you will
> find they are different. I copied these passages from the latest
> editorial draft. For this particular part of the text, the changes were
> purely editorial. Just to same anyone the time reporting that they are
> different.)
>
> It maybe that I am simply too tired for it all to "click" but it seems
> to me inconsistent to discuss the behavior of some attributes when
> defining the attributes and others when we are talking about the
> elements on which they appear. Perhaps that is what I am finding
> confusing. I expect to go from the element to its attributes and should
> the attribute have some special behavior due to the presence or absence
> of another attribute (or some specific value of another attribute) that
> will be recorded at the attribute in question.
>
> Apologies if this one is confusing. I have been trying to match up what
> was said in the prior comments with the text of the draft for a couple
> of hours. I am going to leave it for now and see if it seems clearer
> tomorrow. ;-)

Best regards, Oliver.

Sun Microsystems GmbH    Oliver-Rainer Wittmann
Nagelsweg 55             Software Engineer - OpenOffice.org/StarOffice
20097 Hamburg
Germany                  Fax:   (+49 40) 23 646 955
http://www.sun.de        mailto:oliver-rainer.wittmann@sun.com
Sitz der Gesellschaft:

Oliver-Rainer Wittmann (od) - OpenOffice.org Writer