Subject: RE: [office] Discussion Requested: ODF <dc:creator> conflicts

Please read section 3 of my original note:
<http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/office/200904/msg00000.html>.

It's not clear to me that there is even such a thing as an authoritative XML
Namespace for representing elements of the Dublin Core Element Set 1.1.
Many xmlns:dc="http://purl.org/dc/elements/1.1/"; for binding a URI to a
prefix have nothing to do with XML Namespaces.  Instead they are a hack of
the XML Namespace feature to provide an RDF CURI-aware processor a way to
turn an attribute of CURI type into a URI.

It's quite clear that Dublin Core terms have natural language semantics and
not computer-formal ones, and that they expect those interpretations to be
sustained, however the element is expressed using a data representation.
The DCMI materials seem to be quite strict on that point.

Yes of course, honoring of the DCMI interpretation cannot be mechanically
confirmed: there is not any way to know what counts as the distinguishable
expression of a name, let alone of the responsible entity, short of Semantic
Web magic someday in a galaxy far away.  The same holds for those other
predefined <office:meta> elements, such as <meta:initial-creator> and
Dublin Core is wisely not mentioned at all.

I am only concerned about <dc:creator> and the ODF specification's binding
to an alleged Dublin Core XML Namespace for which there is evidently no
authority.  Apparently DCMI does not lay claim to being one, the DCMI
Namespace being a beast of quite different stripe.

 - Dennis

PS: Does anyone know of any non-ODF international standards that have QNames
for XML elements and attributes that are bound to local names of a namespace
identified by URI "http://purl.org/dc/elements/1.1/";?  I'm curious how this
practice started and what the precedent was for the ODF practice.