Subject: Re: [office] surface plots

Hi Andreas,

A reply from Ingrid:

---%<---snip---%<---

> ----- Forwarded message from "Andreas J. Guelzow" <aguelzow@pyrshep.ca> -----
>
> Date: Fri, 31 Jul 2009 11:02:00 -0600
> Subject: Re: [office] surface plots
>
> On Fri, 2009-07-31 at 15:02 +0200, Eike Rathke wrote:

Hi,

My answer is delayed because I was on vacation. So back to this topic now.

>> Hi Andreas,
>>
>> Answer from Ingrid:
>>
>> ---%<---snip---%<---
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>>> ----- Forwarded message from "Andreas J. Guelzow" <aguelzow@pyrshep.ca> -----
>>>
>>> Date: Thu, 30 Jul 2009 15:33:02 -0600

>>> The series would give a range of B2:E6 so all those data points are in
>>> fact heights.

>>> Perhaps I missed it but where were the equidistant points specified ?
>>>
>> The specification says that the heights should be located at a grid.
>> That is naturally understood as something equidistant. As nothing
>> further is said about the grid it must be assumed
>
> Sorry, but there is no reason that this"must be assumed".
>
>>  that this grid is
>> formed by the indexes of the height values within the so called 'tabular
>> data'.
>>
>> Your adding of additional values for the grid locations is in conflict
>> with this specification and is therefor wrong.
>
> I see no conflict. Your interpretation is assumed. Apparently we are
> assuming different things.
>
> You seems to ignore the primary difference between our interpretations:
> A single series with tabular data versus a sequence of series (so no
> tabular data) in your interpretation.
>
> ODF 1.1 talks about multiple series for a few chart types: scatter (this
> seems to be changed for 1.2 to use chart:domain), stock, bubble (again
> this was changed for 1.2 to use chart domain). By default all others use
> a single series. Location in scatter and bubble in the current 1.2 draft
> uses chart:domain. SO it is reasonable to assume that the same is true
> for "surface".

No. The point is, that *no* additional location values should be used at
all for the surface chart type. Always if additional values should be
chosen for any chart type it was described in the specification, not so
for surface charts.

I have talked to the original author and it is like I have said already:
The height should be located on an equidistant grid. No additional
values should be used for the locations on the grid. The surface chart
type was introduced to allow for Microsofts surface chart type.

I am sorry that the specification text was misinterpreted. The more the
description should be changed to avoid further misinterpretations in the
future:

----------------------------
surface – The values of multiple <chart:series> (marked as being of type
chart:surface) are interpreted as an 'altitude' at a specific grid
location. The graph may visualize these using colors for height
intervals, creating color bands.
In case of chart:three-dimensional="true" a left handed three
dimensional Cartesian coordinate system is used with horizontal x axis
and vertical y axis (before any 3D scene transformations). The attribute
chart:deep has to be set to true in this case. The given values for a
series are interpreted as y-coordinates (representing the 'altitude').
The accessory x-coordinates are generated from the positions in the
altitude-value sequence starting with 1.0. The categories element can be
used to define labels for the x axis. The first altitude value in each
series gets an x value 1.0. The second altitude value is associated with
an x value of 2.0 and so forth. The z-coordinates are generated from the
positions of the series elements starting with 1.0. The first series has
an associated z coordinate of 1.0. The second series has a z-coordinate
2.0 and so forth. The series names are used as labels at the z axis.
In case of chart:three-dimensional="false" each altitude value is
located on a 2 dimensional Cartesian coordinate system with horizontal x
axis and vertical y axis. The categories element can be used to define
labels for the x axis. The x-coordinates are generated from the
positions in the altitude-value sequence starting with 1.0. The
y-coordinates are generated from the positions of the series elements
starting with 1.0. The series names are used as labels at the y axis. A
third axis element with chart:dimension="z" is used to define the range
and separation for the altitude values.

This is compatible with Microsofts surface chart and reflects the
original authors will.

Kind regards,
Ingrid

PGP signature