Subject: Re: [office] Meeting schedule going forward: Daylight Savings Time

Hi,

as this is both tough for members on the West Coast and in East Asia, I
would vote for the compromise, so my choice is "b) 1430 UTC".

Best regards,
Peter

P.S.: Rob, Don, Bart: Sorry for the extra mail traffic, previously I
have been using my private mail account by mistake.

robert_weir@us.ibm.com wrote:
> (I'm cc'ing the chairs of the ODF Adoption and OIC TC's since they will
> face this same issue on their TC's)
>
> I just went to cancel the November 2nd meeting, per our decision on
> Monday, and saw that the repeating invite for the TC meetings will expire
> at the end of October.  We set it to expire at this time so we can adjust
> the meeting time to account for the various daylight savings time changes
> over the next month .
>
> The changes, as I understand them are:
>
> DST ends:
>
> In Europe on Sunday, October 25th this year.
>
> In the US on Sunday, November 1st.
>
> DST begins:
>
> In Brazil, on Sunday October 17th.
>
> And China does not observe daylight savings time changes.
>
> Current meeting time for the TC has been at:
>
> 1400 UTC = 7am West Coast US, 10:00am East Coast US, 4:00pm Hamburg, 10pm
> Beijing
>
> What we have done in past years is keep the US time constant, resulting in
> a meeting time after the DST changes of:
>
> 1500 UTC = 7am West Coast US, 10:00am East Coast US, 4:00pm Hamburg, 11pm
> Beijing
>
> Obviously that makes it quite late in Beijing.
>
> The alternative would be to keep the UTC the same, which gives us:
>
> 1400 UTC = 6am West Coast US, 9:00am East Coast US, 3:00pm Hamburg, 10pm
> Beijing
>
> I know of another TC that solved this problem with a compromise: start the
> meeting at 1430.
>
> So three choices for a meeting time:
>
> a) 1400 UTC
> b) 1430 UTC
> c) 1500 UTC
>
> I don't have a strong preference here, since the globe appears to be
> aligned in such a fashion that I will get enough sleep whatever we decide.
>

> Regards,
>
> -Rob

Peter Junge
Open Source Strategy Director

Beijing Redflag Chinese 2000 Software Co., Ltd.
Building No.2, Block A, Huilongsen, 18 Xihuan Nanlu
Beijing Economic-Technological Development Area
100176 Beijing - P.R.China

北京红旗中文贰仟软件技术有限公司
地址:北京经济技术开发区(亦庄)西环南路18号汇龙森A座二层
邮编:100176