Subject: Re: [office] Re: ODF future versions to JTC1

Jirka Kosek <jirka@kosek.cz> wrote on 01/07/2010 09:21:29 AM:

> I wouldn't be as sure as you. In past OASIS decided to push ODF 1.0 to
> ISO level. Once it was done one would expect that ODF TC will try to
> keep ISO and OASIS version synchronized and up-to-date. So instead of
> finding arguments why not to send ODF 1.1 to ISO and prolonging this
> situation by repeating same arguments and hypothetical timelines I would
> suggest sending ODF 1.1 to ISO as soon as possible.

However, an ODF 1.0 amendment does not preserve equivalence to OASIS ODF
1.1, since it is an amendment, not a new revision.  Although it results in
textually equivalent documents in OASIS and JTC1, they would not be of
equal status.  For example, the European convention is to allow undated
references to standards, or references to a standard with the
qualification "or revised version".  I don't think that a PAS submission
of ODF 1.1 leading to ISO/IEC 26300:2010 has the same status, in terms of
existing citations, as an ISO/IEC 26300:2006/Amd.1.  I'm not sure that
this kind of work around even meets JTC1's goal, which is "to avoid any
divergence between the current JTC 1 revision of a transposed PAS and the
current revision of the original specification published by the PAS
submitter". (JTC1 Directives, 14.4.2).