Subject: Re: [office] External References in most recent OpenFormula draft

Hi Michael,

On Friday, 2010-01-29 16:38:44 +0100, Michael Brauer wrote:

> 2. The descriptions of JIS contains links to:
> http://www.unicode.org/Public/MAPPINGS/OBSOLETE/EASTASIA/JIS/JIS0201.TXT
> http://www.unicode.org/Public/MAPPINGS/OBSOLETE/EASTASIA/JIS/JIS0208.TXT
>
> They appear to be non normative, but do we really need them?

As we define complete mappings for the JIS() and ASC() functions we do
not necessarily need them, they are there for reference purposes.

> Or would it  be an option to move them into the annotations?

Might be an option.

> I'm asking because of  the "OBSOLETE" in the URI.

The mapping may be defined as well in Unihan_OtherMappings.txt of
http://unicode.org/Public/UNIDATA/Unihan.zip
respectively
http://unicode.org/Public/5.2.0/ucd/Unihan.zip

I don't know though if and how JIS 0201 and JIS 0208 are related to
kJis0, kJis1 and kJIS0213 or other encodings defined in that file.

The reference we used at least has clear mappings.

> 3. The description of ASC contains the two links:
> http://www.microsoft.com/globaldev/DrIntl/columns/019/default.mspx#EED
> http://www.microsoft.com/globaldev/reference/dbcs/932.htm
>
> Do we need the two? The first one does not work any longer. The 2nd one
> is redirected, and on the resulting page there is just a (YEN SIGN)
> behind the description of character 5C. That seems to be very little
> information to justify a non normative reference, and I would like to
> move the link into the annotations, too.

Remove them entirely. The MS dev site is notorious in moving document
locations around and away and not suited to be used as reference.

  Eike

--
 OpenOffice.org / StarOffice Calc core developer and i18n transpositionizer.
 SunSign   0x87F8D412 : 2F58 5236 DB02 F335 8304  7D6C 65C9 F9B5 87F8 D412

PGP signature