Subject: Re: [office] OASIS Open Document Format Interop Demo: Call forParticipation -- Deadline May 24, 2010

"Andreas J. Guelzow" <andreas.guelzow@concordia.ab.ca> wrote on 05/11/2010
03:54:25 PM:

> Re: [office] OASIS Open Document Format Interop Demo: Call for
> Participation -- Deadline May 24, 2010
>
> On Tue, 2010-05-11 at 13:42 -0600, donald_harbison@us.ibm.com wrote:
> > Since the demonstration(s) will showcase the participant's ODF 1.2
> > implementation this is a great way to gain visibility and awareness.
>
> There is probably something I am missing:
>
> -- There is no ODF 1.2 yet. There is a draft but that draft can be
> expected to change.
> -- Since there is no ODF 1.2 yet, there cannot be any ODF 1.2
> implementations.
> -- Apparently one needs 3 ODF 1.2 impementations to be able to perform
> an interoperability demonstration.
> -- Without that demonstration there will not be an ODF 1.2.
>
> So either I am missing something or this is a modern chicken<->egg
> problem.

There are two different implementation requirements.

1) Before we can send a Committee Specification forward for an OASIS
Standard ballot we need three "statements of use" from members saying that
are using the specification.   We'll collect those around the time we
approve the Committee Specification, and at that time the text will
essentially be frozen.

2) The interop demo requirement.  This is what Don is doing.  This also
requires three implementations but it is a requirement for submitting
OASIS ODF 1.2 to ISO.  It is not a requirement for moving to an OASIS
Standard ballot.   I think the idea is that by the time the interop demo
event occurs, we will have completed the public review and have a
Committee Specification.  So the text will be frozen.  But defining the
demo will require some lead time, and that planning work is starting now,
even while the text of ODF 1.2 is not yet frozen.