Subject: RE: [office] Concerns for the Foreign-Element Fall-back

In reporting on this topic back on the SC34 WG6 list, I provided more
analysis about the flattening procedure that is used when a foreign element
appears in mixed-content (along with other conditions related to <text:h>
and <text:p> ancestry).  I am including the additional text here for the
record and to further the discussion.

I also note, in passing, that when a foreign element is flattened because it
is not recognized by a consumer, there is no way for the consumer to
determine whether the foreign element has mixed content or not, and
therefore the interpretation of white space in the spliced-in flattened
material is unclear.  There might be actions that the foreign-element
producer could take to assist in that being handled properly (perhaps by
using xml:space).

The more I look at the complexity of this, the more it looks to me as if,
instead of stripping the foreign-element tags, they might be replaced with
<text:span> tags and perhaps <meta:span> if needed.  This would be in order
to preserve RDF dependencies, xml:id, and namespace declarations (with
appropriate precautions in case the binding for the text namespace is
changed in the foreign-element tag).

I haven't looked more closely at the impact that either flattening or
spanning have on the occurrence of <text:change*> elements in the content of
the foreign element.

 - Dennis