Subject: Re: [office] Computable Document Format

<office@lists.oasis-open.org> wrote on 11/01/2011 11:35:45 AM:

> Greetings!
>
> Just a quick work about YADF (yet-another-document-format) on the
> horizon - CDF - Computable Document Format - from Wolfram.
>
> There is a comparison with other document formats here:
>
> http://www.wolfram.com/cdf/compare-cdf/how-cdf-compares.html

I look a look at CDF when it came out initially.  Not really an "open
format" in the way we understand it.  It is even more restrictive than
your typical proprietary document format, e.g., the old binary word
processor formats.  If you read the details of the CDL licensing, you see
that it requires a licence to even distribute CDL documents for commercial
purposes.  So not just restrictions on the tools, but restrictions on the
documents themselves.  I can't see this catching on.

> I would note that several of the "features" are actual application
> features and not features of the format.
>
> I would also note that ODF was omitted, possibly because the
> comparison would not have been as favorable to CDF.
>
> I will see if I can do a comparison with ODF and CDF before our next
> meeting. That should be amusing.
>
> BTW, another point of comparison would be licensing.
>
> On which see:
>
> http://www.wolfram.com/cdf/adopting-cdf/licensing-options.html
>
> Gee, in order to use the "free" version I have to be a billboard for
Wolfram?

> Well, its their format and they can license it anyway they like but
> my preference will remain for ODF and MathML.
>
> Speaking of which, what features do you think we would need to add
> to ODF as a format to compete? (If any.)

Take a look at ODFWeave, which is one way of combining computation and ODF
documents:

http://cran.r-project.org/web/packages/odfWeave/odfWeave.pdf

Another approach would be to define mechanisms for hosting external
computation and chart generation in a spreadsheet document.  So extended
chart times that could be backed by, say, an R chart (bound to data in the
chart) or even a Google Docs spreadsheet gadget.