Subject: ODF Chat notes 28 August 2017

Greetings!

ODF Chat notes from 28 August 2017:

anonymous morphed into Jos van den Oever
anonymous morphed into Thomas
Thomas: Mornng
Thomas: Yes
Patrick: we have quorum
Patrick: Previous discussion, chart placement, 3D objects in documents
Jos van den Oever: chat from last time:
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/office/201708/msg00020.html
Regina Henschel: 3928
Regina Henschel: https://issues.oasis-open.org/browse/OFFICE-3928
Patrick: that possibly exceed the pure coordinate region.
Jos van den Oever: Patrick: if in document we have a graphical object
where coordinate region specifies a position, are you, Regina, saying
that the labels may be placed without regard to that region?
Jos van den Oever: Regina: it's possible that they are outside the
coordinate region
Jos van den Oever: Patrick: but inside the positioning rectangle?
Jos van den Oever: Regina: that depends on the application, e.g. the frame
Jos van den Oever: Regina: the same issue applies with the rectangle of
a plot area
Jos van den Oever: Jos: with the coordinate region defined, the outer
rectangle is not guaranteed to contain all the parts of the graph
Jos van den Oever: Patrick: the positioning of things outside the
coordinate system are not constrained by the coord region area
Jos van den Oever: Regina: the x,y,width and height only refers to the
coordinate region
Patrick: The <chart:coordinate-region> element defines the positioning
rectangle of a coordinate system excluding axis labels, tick marks,
titles and data labels.
Jos van den Oever: Jos: the labels are usually outside the coordinate region
Patrick: That's one reason to not mention "exceed the pure coordinate
region," here.
Patrick: I like the shorter version b/c if we don't define axis labels,
tick marks, etc., then they are defined elsewhere.
Jos van den Oever: Jos: that would keep the definition simple, the text
is there because the previous behavior was different
Jos van den Oever: Regina: should I drop that part?
Regina Henschel: Yes, delete "that may lap out of the pure coordinate
region".
Patrick: that possibly exceed the pure coordinate region. -> that may
extend beyond the positioning rectangle.
Jos van den Oever: Patrick: i was worried about the lack of definition
for coordinate region
Jos van den Oever: Jos: do you want to avoid the word 'coordinate region'?
Jos van den Oever: Patrick: would a rectangle beyond the positioning
rectangle be a way to say that?
Jos van den Oever: Regina: what does extend mean?
Jos van den Oever: Regina: Some elements are inside, some outside the
positioning rectangle
Jos van den Oever: Jos: so it's like a viewPort in SVG
Jos van den Oever: Regina: the different with the plotarea is that only
coordinate system itself is used and the labels are not considered
Jos van den Oever: Regina: the difference is in the way the coordinate
position is defined
Regina Henschel: Do all agree with "that may extend beyond the
positioning rectangle"?
Jos van den Oever: "positioning rectangle" is the "coordinate
rectangle", this is confusing, better to define coordinate region properly
Jos van den Oever: Jos: I prefer 'plot area' and 'coordinate region' and
to not introduce a new term 'positioning rectangle'
Patrick: if we have "coordinate region," does that exclude having a plot
region? I don't think so but wanted to ask
Patrick: always have a plot area, even with coordinate region
Jos van den Oever: No, there's always a plot area
Jos van den Oever: if there is a coordinate region, then the coordinate
region determines placement and size of the the plot components
Jos van den Oever: This gives precise positioning of the coordinate area.
Jos van den Oever: The text would have a part with a definition and a
part that describes how the objects are scaled into this area.
Jos van den Oever: Regina: I can make a new paragraph for next week.
Jos van den Oever: Regina: The 3d charts are explained in the next section.
Jos van den Oever: Regina: would have different sections for the
different parts of the graph
Jos van den Oever: s/graph/spec section
Patrick: 20.5 chart:axis-label-position

20.63 chart:tick-mark-position

20.31 chart:label-position
Jos van den Oever: Patrick: The position of the parts of the plot are
not defined strictly.
Jos van den Oever: Jos: the coordinate region is meant to precisely
position the plot contents
Jos van den Oever: Patrick: so the application has freedom for where to
place things like tickmarks
Jos van den Oever: Patrick: would we like to give users control over the
display of tickmarks etc?
Jos van den Oever: Jos: Let's wait for an implementation to show how to
do that
Jos van den Oever: Patrick: it would be the next logical step
Patrick: Perhaps for the version after this one - user control over
placement
Jos van den Oever: Regina sent a mail with a proposal for the 3d part.
Jos van den Oever: Patrick: we should make better use of the mailing list
Jos van den Oever: Patrick: I'm intrigued by the proposal to predefine
types of scaling
Jos van den Oever: Jos: we could voting explicitly on the agenda with
the understanding that discussion has taken place beforehand via the
mailing list
Jos van den Oever: Michael: I like that idea
Jos van den Oever: Patrick: that used to be the practice
Jos van den Oever: It was still possible to have last minute questions
Jos van den Oever: but it could certainly work.
Jos van den Oever: for next week we'll choose a few non-controversial
issues that are coming up for a vote
Jos van den Oever: there'll be essentially two weeks to investigate each
issue before the vote
Jos van den Oever: Regina: I would like to have the discussion on the
mailing list
Jos van den Oever: Regina: each notification is placed on the mailing
list too now that the notifier has been repaired
Jos van den Oever: Patrick: we have agreement that we should work on an
agenda, Jos and I will prepare one for next week
Jos van den Oever: Meeting adjourned
Jos van den Oever: have a great week!
Thomas: Take care

Hope everyone is at the start of a great week!

patrick@durusau.net
Technical Advisory Board, OASIS (TAB)

Homepage: http://www.durusau.net
Twitter: patrickDurusau