Subject: Re: [office] For discussion of OFFICE-4030 and OFFICE-3791

Regina Henschel schrieb am 08-Dec-19 um 18:37:
Hi all,

I have put Miklos Vajna, proposal owner of OFFICE-4030, in CC.

In regard to OFFICE-4030 Bottom to top, left to right writing direction:
For the intended purpose it is not enough, to describe the writing-mode as "bt-lr". You need to define the glyph orientation in addition.

Alternatives:
[..]
C)
Use CSS and SVG properties directly. https://www.w3.org/TR/css-writing-modes-3/.
See also https://svgwg.org/svg2-draft/text.html#WritingModeProperty
It will use 'writing-mode', 'direction', and 'text-orientation'. It will be different from CSS2 and SVG1. It is complex. I think it is not really suitable, but decide yourself.

"CSS Writing Modes Level 3" has become a recommendation.
https://www.w3.org/TR/2019/REC-css-writing-modes-3-20191210/

I think, that the note at end of section 5.1.3 shows, that it is not usable for a desired behavior, that corresponds to OOXML "vert270".

Kind regards
Regina