Subject: 29 March 2021 - ODF Meeting Notes

Greetings!

The notes from our teleconference 29 March 2021 follow below.

Hope everyone is at the start of a great week!

Patrick

***************************

Additional gutter space for binding1. Dial-In, Roll Call, Determination
of Quorum and Voting Rights

2. Motion (simple majority): Approve the Agenda

3. Motion (simple majority): Approve minutes of 22 March 2021

https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/office/202103/msg00041.html

4. Additional gutter space for binding
https://issues.oasis-open.org/browse/OFFICE-4105 - to open

5. Revision of the ODF TC Charter - cont.

Chet Ensign reminded me that clarification of our charter is what we are
about. To expand the charter would require re-chartering the TC. I don't
think we have strayed into that area, yet, and hope that we don't.

6. Adjournment.
Patrick: Quorum - yes
Patrick: agenda - approved by consent
Patrick: minutes of 22 March 2021 - approved by consent
Patrick: Andreas - opening - what does that mean?
Patrick: Regina - means want it in principal - details to follow
Patrick: Andreas - against it in principle
Patrick: Andreas - adding more borders, paddings, why not use current
options? Are we going to have different margins names for every intention
Patrick: Svante - call it a feature - if can't use a current feature -
open it -
Patrick: Andreas - doesn't think it is a feature - if in principle we
like it
Patrick: OOXML requires a binding gutter, so need a way to transport the
gutter information -
Patrick: Regina - prior line
Patrick: Regina - LO makes an additional space - to do this now
Patrick: Andreas - would break interoperability with ODF applications
that don't support this proposal
Patrick: Andreas - make it part of existing values
Patrick: Regina - in proposal there is a definition of binding side on
right or left binding
Patrick: Francis - to what extend is binding dependent on the method of
printing - is this straying into production meta-data?
Patrick: Regina - information for the author
Patrick: is this a printer characteristic?
Patrick: Regina - will talk to developer - another way to write it to ODF -
Patrick: Francis - OOXML has gutter at top, gutter at side is ignored
Patrick: Regina - gutter at top is a document setting
Patrick: gutter on left and right are section properties
Patrick: Regina will look to developer for more information -
Patrick: Open in JIRA - means we have discussed and accepted the issue
for resolution -
Patrick: Office-4105 is deferred -
Patrick: Regina - issues need to be raised earlier -
Patrick: Charter discussion:
Patrick: Additional gutter space for binding1. be suitable for office
documents that include, but are not limited to, text, spreadsheets,
charts, or graphical content,

2. be compatible with the W3C Extensible Markup Language (XML) v1.0 and
W3C Namespaces in XML v1.0 specifications,

3. create definitions and conformance requirements that promote
interoperable implementations

Left off discussing:

4. to promote fidelity of the user experience when interchanging
documents between office systems
Patrick: Andreas - charter is the essentials - hasn't had time to think
about it -
Patrick: Svante - charter should have things we would like to do
Patrick: Svante - don't have to agree right now
Patrick: Francis - a simple change to #3
Patrick: new #3 create models, definitions, conformance requirements,
and guidance that promote interoperable implementations
Svante Schubert: In the end, I would like your blessing that we evaluate
an abstract data model (ODF Info Set) similar to the XML Info Set. I
will be certainly working on this year.
Svante Schubert:
https://www.oasis-open.org/policies-guidelines/github-repositories-for-oasis-tc-members-chartered-work/
Svante Schubert: ^we need to report the broken "charter" link
Patrick: do charter have to specify work to be undertaken as part of TC
charter - such developing an INFO-Set for ODF
Svante Schubert: ^have to^may
Svante Schubert: do charter may specify the evaluation of work of some
TC members - after agreement from the TC - to be undertaken as part of
TC charter - such developing an INFO-Set for ODF
Patrick: Francis - look at charters of other TCs -
Patrick: Adjourned -

patrick@durusau.net
Technical Advisory Board, OASIS (TAB)

Homepage: http://www.durusau.net