oic message

Subject: RE: [oic] deliverable "state of interoperability"

"Dennis E. Hamilton" <dennis.hamilton@acm.org> wrote on 01/20/2009
11:42:52 AM:

> I didn't think of description of *our* state and what we are working
> on/toward is what was intended.
>
> My thinking was that this would be a way to identify what the
> interoperability hot spots are so that there could be focused,
prioritized
> attention on those areas where interoperability improvement is important
> users of ODF-supporting applications.  We need some grounded assessment
that
> allows us to focus our limited resources on what matters the most for
ODF
> interoperability and conformance.

When I was drafting the charter text I intentionally wrote the TC would "
Initially and periodically thereafter, to review the current state of
conformance and interoperability among a number of ODF implementations".
The idea was for this to be a regular (periodic) activity where we report
on the state of interoperability and hopefully indicate what progress has
been made.  Obviously, in our first report this will be more of a baseline
indication, since the OIC TC has not yet improved interoperability.  But
we could certainly indicate other activities in the area, reports, common
complaints, etc.  I was not thinking that these reports would
pre-requistite us running an interoperability test suite.   We need to
bootstrap the process based on information that already exists.
Note also that the date in the charter is arbitrary and the TC is free to
agree to adopt another date if it wishes.

> There is the question about how we identify the state of
interoperability,
> and although you, I and everyone else has our own hot buttons, I am not
sure
> that is what matters most.

The report can certainly express a consensus opinion of the TC for what
priority areas are.  However, since we do not have results of a
comprehensive test suite to go on, any of our opinions will be based on
personal experience, anecdotes and a handful of smaller test cases, e.g.,
the Rajiv Shah tests.

> It strikes me that to do this well we need a way to gather inputs from
> concerned parties about where there are concerns over missing
> interoperability in real-world practical settings.  We want some
visibility
> on those cases where limitation is an immediate problem and a barrier to
> adoption of ODF supporting products.

OK.  We have a few people on the TC who represent large organizations who
are deploying ODF internally, such as Bart/Fedict, Michael/Sun,
Aslam/South Africa, me/IBM, etc.  That is the most immediate source of
information.  I'd start there.

> There must be a way to do this with organizations that have taken the
> initiative in adopting ODF and have experience in product
interoperability.
> Vendors might have information they can share in regard to what comes in
as
> hot spots from adopters of their products, but we should not depend on
that
> as a sole source.

Well, where a vendor is also a deployer, that then becomes a valid data
point, equally as valid as any other deployer.  I certainly wouldn't
disregard an ODF deployer's views simply because they happen to also be a
vendor.

> Perhaps all that might happen for March is reporting on how we are going
> about this and perhaps some early indications.

The date is flexible, as mentioned earlier.  I'm hoping we can go beyond
restating the charter or our road map.  I'm hoping we can actually say
something about the state of interoperability today.  Think of it this way
-- How do we gauge our success?  How do we prove to someone that we
actually accomplished something?  Giving a baseline report of
interoperability and then periodically reporting on progress is a key part
of this.  But certainly developing a road map is an aspect of progress.
Planning is step #1.

> Having a corpus of representative documents where interoperable use
fails is
> good too, although we need to make sure the documents of that kind are
> important in someone's interoperability situation and not marginal cases
in
> practice.

An example file or a few might give some color to the discussion of the
state of interoperability.  Maybe one step is to define some taxonomy for
interoperability problems and then remark on the impact and prevalence of
each in ODF applications today?  Even for our own internal use we would
certainly benefit from a shared vocabulary for describing interoperability
issues.