oic message

Subject: RE: [oic] Testing Approach Decision #1: What Classes of Products Are To Be Tested?

Title: RE: [oic] Testing Approach Decision #1: What Classes of Products Are To Be Tested?

OK, I'll bite :-)

> 1.2.2 In addition, there are free-standing documents and templates for
> Math-ML (OpenDocument Formula) and there is a special word-processing master
> document (OpenDocument Global Text).  Starting with ODF 1.2 there is also a
> database application for local and remote databases, using a document format
> (OpenDocument Base).

For completeness: there's also an .OTH (Text document used as template for HTML
documents) in ODF 1.1, although I've never seen one in real life
(Actually this seems more like a profile to me, but it has its own MIME type
and file extension)

> 1.3.1 A secondary product class that may be of some concern consists of
> converters by which ODF documents are imported into programs that are not
> designed to support ODF, with or without separate translation into another
> format that is supported.

Mmm, are you referring to products not designed to support ODF, or not
designed to handle office formats in general ?

I don't think we should make a distinction between office applications using
a converter and those who natively support ODF (hard to draw the line anyway:
on product may need a separate plug-in, while another has it integrated in a
modular architecture for markup languages). That's an implementation "detail"

Maybe another product class: template engines (aka mailmerge on steroids).
A bit of a niche business market, but probably with a stronger focus on
metadata, read-only features, forms and database-features.

Best regards,

Bart