oic message

Subject: RE: [oic] Testing Approach Decision #1: What Classes of Products Are To Be Tested? .odh?

I notice that it is difficult to create an .oth file.  You can't do it with
a Save As ... of a blank Writer document.  I managed to fake some by
renaming an HTML file.  OO.o 2.4 will open it in as if in OpenOffice.org
Writer/Web (not very well - I used a copy of my current blog front page),
and then I can save it as an .oth after that.  I have no idea what that is
about and of course there is no definition of the format at all in the
specification.  We can list it though.  It will be very interesting to see
what it looks like inside!

I guess it would be good to add a wiki page of these discussions.  I can't
attach it to Marston's slides (because of what the slide show does with
subpaths), but I can link to it from the Marston slide as a note.

	-	-	-	-	-	-	-	-

OO.o 2.4 does a lot of discovery on what it sees.  It recognized the HTML I
gave it regardless of the extension on the file.  That's nice.  I also
offered it an .mht file, but it doesn't know what to do with those (they are
a form of HTML with all components, packaged as a MIME multipart in a fake
SMTP e-mail wrapper used by IE and Netscape/Mozilla browsers).

I opened the saved .oth with Winzip and the content.xml is quite curious.
There are lots of "com.sun.star.form.control.TextField" and
"ooo:com.sun.star.form.component.CommandButton" kinds of things.

There are also <office:annotation> elements in the body of the first
<text:p> under <office:text> under <office:body>.  This is actually the
translation of an HTML comment that was drawn into my web page as part of
the Blogger template.  There are also <text:script> elements (with no
indication that it is JavaScript).   It is all pretty funny.  Not sure what
they did with the .css from the Blogger site.  I am not prepared to look
closer at this time.  I note in passing that there is a fair amount of Form
usage and also ODF tables (there being HTML tables in the original blog
page).

Opening the created .oth in OO.o 3.0 shows the "annotations" along the right
sidebar.  There's a defect in an image frame (somehow capturing text from
this very e-mail that was also open on my desktop).  If I try a Save As ...
the default type is as another .oth (odd).  There is no option to save as an
ODF document, only as HTML, .txt, StarWriter .vor, or OO.o 1.0 .stw.

I haven't tried jimmying the .oth MIMETYPE item to make it into a .odt, but
that would be a worthwhile experiment.

So you are right, it is yet-another odd case that is mentioned only in the
non-normative Appendix and nowhere characterized in the ODF specification as
well as I can tell.

It is actually worth mentioning this case in connection with the template
scenario, because it doesn't fit the pattern with respect to other handling
of templates!  This is all about implementation, of course, because there is
nothing in the ODF specification about templates other than a metadata
element to indicate what template, if any, a document was based on.

 - Dennis

PS: I also notice that <office:annotation> does not work with respect to
foreign-element rules, causing the <office:annotation> content to be
rendered as part of the visible text if the element is not
recognized/supported.  That's a different conversation, but an interesting
consequence to observe.