oic message

Subject: opinion on virtual interop event (or not) ?

Title: opinion on virtual interop event (or not) ?

Hi,

Regarding organizing a possible virtual interop event (or not).

Although running test cases should become a continuous effort, I
think there is added value for organizing one "milestone" event to
get started (and _if_ we do this, repeat it every 6 months or so)

I see four different options, assuming we have a set of documents

a) organize a real 24h open event, both for members and non-members
Main focus:
- awareness, have feedback from outside the OIC

Benefits:
- more people testing more implementations

Drawbacks:
- maybe too ambitious
- much more work towards logistics
- risk of "vendor / standard bashing" (for any given vendor)
- much more work afterwards (filtering out results, duplicates)

b) organize an OIC-members only event
Main focus:
- running tests cases, input for next interop report(s)

Benefits:
- much more structured
- less worrying about IPR, get the results contributed to the OIC

Drawbacks:
- limited to OIC members and the usual implementations (which might
cover, say, 85% of the users)
- unsatisfying "this feature isn't interoperable...now what"-feeling

c) organize a 24h OIC-members + developers from OIC members
Main focus:
- running tests cases and improve interoperability / fix bugs while
we're at it

Benefits:
- structured approach
- clear, immediate benefits for end-users
- shows real commitment from various implementers

Drawbacks:
- more resources required (developers, lead architects)
- is this within the OIC scope or not ?
  * is this "commenting on implementations" then it's out of scope
  * is this an "internal TC interoperability activity" / plugfest
    as in http://www.oasis-open.org/who/interop_demo_policy.php
    then it is probably in scope?)

d) don't do any event at all, focus on other aspects

Benefits:
- more resources for other OIC activities

Drawbacks:
- people outside OASIS might find the OIC an its members as being
too much focused on theoretical work

I'd really like to hear your opinions, especially from implementers.

Best regards,

Bart