oic message

Subject: RE: [oic] Test Assertions - Latest Set

Here's a little more about my concerns, using <dc:creator> in <office:meta> as my specific example.  I'm looking at
<http://tools.oasis-open.org/version-control/svn/oic/TestSuite/branches/barth/odf11/assertions/html/metadata-dc-creator.html>
as of OIC SVN version 78.

The current provision for the <dc:creator> element is that it may occur none or more times in an <office:meta> element.  The ODF 1.1 specification declares that the "element specifies the name of the person who last modified the document."  It is also specified that "It is application-specific how to update multiple instances of the same elements."  (These conditions appear twice, once in section 2.2 and again at the beginning of section 3.1.)

Also, I thought "target" was not a specification but something that is an implementation of a (part of a) specification.  I am going to assume that targets are (1) documents, and (2) various aspects of document processing implementations.  I think there are several different target cases here.

This is the kind of thinking I have gone through in trying to separate out what we can interpret in the specification and what we have to look elsewhere for.  In the case of optionally-supported metadata, I don't see what we can do without creating our own normative sources, and they are going to be quite different, serving as guidelines or merely something to inspect for to understand whether guidelines are even needed.

Some Targets and Prescription-Level thinking:

1. The document itself.  That is, what is all right in a document.  First, it is all right that there be no <dc:creator> in an <office:meta> element (and there need not be any <office:meta> element).  It is all right that there be one <dc:creator> occurrence.  It is all right that there be more than one.  I suppose it might be all right that a <dc:creator> be empty or even appear as <dc:creator /> or it should at least not be an error, although no name appears to be provided in this case.

1.1 It could be that there are might be joint/multiple creators as far as Dublin Core is concerned, but maybe not as far as being "the person who last modified the document."  That is hard to tell.  Also, the difference might be with regard to language (e.g., one is in Traditional Chinese, the other is an anglicized version).  Who knows.

1.2 We might want to say, for interoperability, that the string value is meant to provide human-understandable text.  (I don't think there is any provision for xml:space and xml:lang, and certainly not for any formatting outside of what can be done with unadorned Unicode after white-space handling.)  But this is all very squishy.

2. I don't think it is enough of a prerequisite to say "an implementation supports the element."  I think we need to characterize the support.

3. Document consumers.

This is about ingesting the ODF document.

3.1 A consumer needs to tolerate the specification.  That is, none, one, or multiple occurrences of a <dc:creator> element in an <office:meta> element (if present) shall be accepted.  I think we can get that much out of the requirements for consuming a document.  That is to say, a consumer must tolerate the element.

3.2 What the consumer must do with the element is different.  How the information is to be made known and what happens when there is more than one seems far removed from the ODF 1.1 specification.   I am not even sure there is an interoperability condition here.

3.3 One might want to assess whether the information is displayable in some rather direct manner and what are testable limitations on what is successfully displayed.  There can be predicates for that.  I don't know what the Prescription Level and the Normative Source might be.

4. Document producers.

This is about making a document that is regarded as a new one (rather than manipulation of an existing one).

4.1 Supporting the element in this case would be by whether it produces <office:meta> and it includes one or more <dc:creator> elements?  If the element is not supported, I would expect that it not be produced.

4.2 If it produces a <dc:creator> element, it might be automatically produced (e.g., using logged-on-account information).  It might be specifiable through an user agent.  The interesting question is whether or not it is automatically produced and is there any external control over that.  I am not sure what we are measuring though.  Usability?

4.3 For interoperability, I suppose there is the case that the producer emits something that a different consumer could display successfully if it were designed to do so, although it is not clear how we would characterize that in a measurable way.  (Ties in with 3.3)

4.4 If it produces multiple <dc:creator> elements, I suppose the key question is what information is provided in so doing (as opposed to them being duplicates of the same content).  Or do we suggest that there not be multiple <dc:creator> elements (or at least confirm that implementations only produce at most one, whether or not there is provision for external influence of what the value is)?

5. Document processors

I am thinking specifically in the case of a consumer that is used to produce a modification of the original that is not pesented as a new-document production.

5.1 In this case, one would want to know if any of the consumed <dc:creator> elements were preserved and why?  I would expect that <office:meta> <dc:creator> elements in the input document would be ignored in the creation of the output, whether the element is supported or not.

5.2 I would think the expected behavior, if this element is supported, is that whether or not there are any elements in the consumed document, if <dc:creator> elements in an <office:meta> element are produced, they are produced originally just as if this was case (4).

5.3 I would think the expected behavior, if this element is not supported, is that no <dc:creator> elements are emitted, regardless of the input.

5.4 I can imagine processes that leave metadata intact but do other things.  I don't think such processes count as being document processors that we care about interoperability for.

5.5 There is also the case of interactive document processors/producers and what is available and what is manipulable, and what arises automatically.  We may need terms for that and have to decide how far up into interactive conduct we can go.

 - Dennis