oic message

Subject: RE: [oic] The Hague expense sheet scenario, continued

GENERAL COMMENTS

I think we should take David Marston's advice about this, and not get hung
up on an aggregate score or counting.  We should never use "score," only
test outcomes.
 -
<http://wiki.oasis-open.org/oic/TestingThoughts1/200_Conformance_Principles>
 - <http://wiki.oasis-open.org/oic/TestingThoughts1/300_Test_Suite>
 -
<http://wiki.oasis-open.org/oic/TestingThoughts1/400_Test_Lab_Obligations>

Also, I notice that Marston mentions test scenarios and we might also, but a
test scenario and an application scenario are different (even though ability
to support an application (or usage scenario, if you think the application
is only the software) scenario might be the subject of a test scenario).  I
think we are stumbling over unqualified use of "scenario."

I've become uncomfortable with "feature point."  I am not sure that is
commonly understood or obvious.  I think you want a collection of
predicate-like conditions for which the individual outcomes are "yes"
(true), "no" (false), or "not done" (inapplicable).  The last case is if
prerequisites are not satisfied or it is not possible to verify the
particular condition for some other reason.  Maybe these are just
"test(-point) outcomes," stated as predicates that can be determined to be
satisfied (true) or not (not true).  "Test point" in the sense of a specific
measurement point in an electronic circuit is something I think of like
that.  In our case, the test point definition would include the threshhold
condition.

It appears that we are asking that an ODF document of a particular nature
(more or less) be created, but the tester has to know how to interact with
the application in a way that achieves that result.  I guess we are going to
learn how to specify what the outcome should be in a way where a test
developer would have to identify how that outcome is achievable, or not,
with their product.

For a test suite to be developed, it seems that the test scenario here would
have to be translated by the test lab into a specific test procedure that
applied to the product under test.  This seems to be something that Marston
anticipates also.

With regard to reporting the outcomes of the test, I would put the results
down a left column because they make it easier to scan and don't depend on
having a particular width to view a right-side column easily.  I think they
need to be two-level, so that blocks of conditions that depend on a
particular stage having been reachable or even exercisable are together.

I realize that this is experimental, and there is a lot we will be learning
about this.  This is what I noticed.

 - Dennis

LOOKING AT THE EXAMPLE TEST SCENARIO

I looked at the latest oic-expensesheet scenario and there are a large
number of conditions in the scenario that apply well before the conditions
under Feature Points come into play.  I also think we need to look at how
those are measurable.

For example, how is it to be determined that the document conforms to ODF
1.1 (and that it is the intention to create an ODF 1.1 document)?  Also, how
are satisfaction of layout measures to be determined?  I assume the document
must be rendered (on a printer?) in this case.  There are language and
locale conditions that need to be established in the setup too.

Finally, I notice a tremendous number of dependencies on nomenclature having
to do with ODF conveyed-notions that may be reflected in an user interfaces
in a variety of ways (including not at all).  (For example, what exactly
does "Apply 'oic-page' to current page" mean? What is the intended outcome.
Likewise, "Create a new page style 'oic-page'" has a high requirement for
tacit knowledge.  I think experts in formats and office applications would
be able to infer what is required without much difficulty, but we are
depending on them getting that "right."

We might want to look at what the desired outcome is and then allow a tester
to determine what implementation feature there is for accomplishing that.
(For example, test scenario step 1.1 assumes there is a UI provision for
independently defining and naming page styles.  That's a big item with tons
of dependencies (A4, portrait, metric dimensions, and UI language and
locality-specific behavior).