oic message

Subject: RE: [oic] odf 1.2 part 3, packages, features

These seem to be mainly described as tasks that users/implementations might
perform, but not features as such at the format level.

It seems to me that it is important to differentiate between what clusters
as a feature in the format, as specified and supplemented, versus what might
be relevant usage scenarios around beyond-the-spec processing with respect
to a feature and how that is available, or not, to users (or their digital
agents)?

 - Dennis

PS: I am a little nervous about relying on the ODF 1.2 Part 3 Public Review
Draft in this way, although I think the granularity is about right.  One
major granularity issue has to do with what is solely and entirely a feature
of packages and what is a feature corresponding to an application of package
for the specific case of carrying ODF 1.2 document instances.  For example,
as far as I can tell, the manifest.xml and the manifest.rdf "manifest" file
are quite different beasts in this regard: packaging has no dependency on
the second and depends intimately on the first.

-----Original Message-----
From: Hanssens Bart [mailto:Bart.Hanssens@fedict.be]
Sent: Monday, November 30, 2009 06:45
To: oic@lists.oasis-open.org
Subject: [oic] odf 1.2 part 3, packages, features

Hi,

as Svante suggested, creating a list of what we consider "a feature" might
be
helpful, and the ODF 1.2 part 3 (packages) gives us a nice opportunity to
get started :-)

Below a quick list what I consider to be features in ODF 1.2 packages

- adding/viewing/removing a thumbnail
- creating/updating manifest file
- creating/updating/removing metadata manifest file
- encryption / decryption
- adding/verifying/removing a digital signature
- sniff document type (based upon MIME type)

Best regards,

Bart