oic message

Subject: Re: [oic] odf 1.2 part 3, packages, features

Hi,

Dennis E. Hamilton wrote:
> These seem to be mainly described as tasks that users/implementations might
> perform, but not features as such at the format level.
>
> It seems to me that it is important to differentiate between what clusters
> as a feature in the format, as specified and supplemented, versus what might
> be relevant usage scenarios around beyond-the-spec processing with respect
> to a feature and how that is available, or not, to users (or their digital
> agents)?

I would suggest that for the first step, we simply ignore user
interaction (scenarios) and 'only' try to cluster the model.
Thanks, Bart for the start, which is always difficult and Dennis for the
first interesting review.

To know/test if we really got every feature. We might align (as an
heuristic) the chapters of the part 3 spec content table with each feature.
Again for the beginning I would suggest to handle external standards
(e.g. W3C RDF, W3C XMLDSIG) as a black box and pretend optimistically
that they would subscribe their features.
No detailed suggestion ready by now, but planned to write up tomorrow a
more detailed suggestion

PS: Further comment below..
>  - Dennis
>
> PS: I am a little nervous about relying on the ODF 1.2 Part 3 Public Review
> Draft in this way, although I think the granularity is about right.  One
> major granularity issue has to do with what is solely and entirely a feature
> of packages and what is a feature corresponding to an application of package
> for the specific case of carrying ODF 1.2 document instances.  For example,
> as far as I can tell, the manifest.xml and the manifest.rdf "manifest" file
> are quite different beasts in this regard: packaging has no dependency on
> the second and depends intimately on the first.

As I am not sure if I understand you here correctly, do you
differentiate between a part 1 and part 3 feature or to a feature that
is new to ODF 1.2?

In any case let me restate the part 3 spec from the bird perspective
a) the manifest.xml is the 'content table' for files/streams within the
ODF package
b) the manifest.rdf is the 'content table' for RDF metadata within each
ODF document within the ODF package

The manifest.rdf is 'drawn down' from ODF schema (part 1) to the ODF
Package layer (part 3), as the ability to attach RDF metadata to
identifiable XML elements (those with the xml:id attribute),should be a
shareable feature among all ODF Packages.

Did this help or what exactly did you mean with an ODF 1.2 document
instance?

Regards,
Svante