oic message

Subject: RE: [oic] test documents - Symbolic Links?

Let me test my understanding here.

THE SCENARIO

1. On your local system (in the working copy from SVN) you have used
symbolic links in some way to incorporate shared test documents with
multiple tests (folders)?

2. When you commit that to SVN, you expect that SVN is going to notice this
and preserve it, rather than commit a copy for each shared occurrence?

3. When someone else updates from SVN, the SVN client will attempt to
preserve the sharing it also?

Or have I misunderstood the scenario you are attempting?

WHAT ACTUALLY HAPPENS

Show me an example in this SVN commit,
<http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/oic/200912/msg00019.html>

What file or folder is used in more than one test and is shared to those
tests via symlinking in your working copy?

How many copies of it were committed in the SVN Commit?

 - Dennis

PS: I speculate that if you update the shared copy on your local system,
each separate copy of the shared instances update on SVN when you SVN
Commit.  If someone updates one of those copies on their machine and does an
SVN Commit, I speculate that single copy updates on SVN.  What happens when
you then SVN Update to your working copy (and do a future SVN Commit), I
hesitate to hazard any guess about.

PPS: If my speculations are close to the actual state of affairs and the
only sharing is on your local machine, I have an alternative to suggest,
although the use cases are messy under versioning.

PPPS: I don't think issuing copy commands to SVN helps with this.  My
understanding of how SVN shares identical copies is under a copy-on-write
condition.  That is, an update to either will break the sharing.  Maybe you
are using some other SVN commands?  I only know and use what TortoiseSVN
permits me to do in simple ways.  What's your trick?